News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bushy palmer

Quote from: scoobyscott on May 25, 2013, 09:07:45 AM
sedgehog bumble thingy
[attachimg=1]

My kinda flee. I can picture the surface splash as a troot grabs that in a wave right now :D

Wildfisher

Quote from: haresear on May 25, 2013, 02:28:02 AM
I never tie to "patterns " either

I seldom do, most of my tying is absolutely basic and minimalist. I do use a few standard patterns on lochs though - flies like The Butcher, Elk Hair Caddis etc  that have a long pedigree. I just buy those I couldn't be bothered tying them. Dry fly "design" has one outstanding requirement and it's not mosaic tinsel - it's visibility to me when I am fishing it.  You can come up with all the magic bullets you like, but if you don't know they have been taken it's pointless.

sewin007

Seen a few daddys around so decided to tye up something and give it a chuck. Up to my club water with high hopes only  to find the fish didnt fancy this flee. Back to the drawing board for a simple and easy to tye daddy.[attachimg=1]

Wildfisher

sewin007

I think its one of those flees that catch fishermen not fish! will give it another outing later in the year.

Traditionalist

Quote from: sewin007 on May 30, 2013, 09:24:38 PM
Seen a few daddys around so decided to tye up something and give it a chuck. Up to my club water with high hopes only  to find the fish didnt fancy this flee. Back to the drawing board for a simple and easy to tye daddy.[attachimg=1]

Brown bodies don't work very well. Try a yellow body. The CDC might be alright as wings, but I prefer hackle points or hair.

The reason for the yellow body;

http://www.wildfisher.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=6394.msg56673#msg56673

sewin007

Your right enough i will tye some up with cream/yellow dubbing and colour the upperbody with brown pen. I cant see past cdc for drys, and as a hackle for nymphs, its very  effective.

Traditionalist

Although it looks nice on the bench I don't think the upper body colour is of much importance.

I don't use CDC much any more, I find it has too many disadvantages, but I agree it does make some excellent dries. I don't use it at all for wets. I just never did very well with it. It works alright on some things but no better than other stuff I have used.  I like to think that my base complement of flies are as effective as I can make them, and CDC just never fitted in very well.  Your experience may well differ.

sewin007

I just think cdc is a very versitile material, I like the fragile feeling it has and when tyed in properly it is pretty hard wearing, but its each to there own and thats what always produces inovation in the use of various materials.
These are some wee nymphs I tyed usually I like to wind on a collar of cdc but these are a bit small for that.[attachimg=1]

Harpo

Nice nymphs sewin
When you put a CDC collar on some, is that one feather tied on at the tip and given a couple of turns?

Cheers

Go To Front Page