News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haresear

The March Brown Emerger looks good Fred.

I was tying flies all week last week as I was off work. Got about 150 dries and nymphs done which should cover the first three or four months of the season :D

I discovered a spool of Aero Wing I didn't know I had. It is good stuff to work with and although it is expensive, I do like the look of the flies, especially the parachutes. I thought I had tried Aero Wing before and didn't like it, but I think that may have been something called Neve. A case of mistaken identity.

Alex

Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Quote from: haresear on December 21, 2013, 11:12:37 PM
The March Brown Emerger looks good Fred.

All these dirty poly type flies are great. Dead quick to tie (a few minutes max.) and maintenance free. After a fish a quick wash and a few false cats,  they're ready to go again. Above all they are dead easy to see on the water.  I probably use them more than any other fly, 16s  to 12s  up until mid summer.

scoobyscott

All good looking flies lads. Fred I tied up an almost identical MB emerger at the start of last season but missed any hatches due to the wet/cold start and work commitments. Here's hoping I get a chance this coming season

Wildfisher

In the same vein of simplicity - for the highland lochs in June / July. Actually even this is probably overkill as all you need is a light coloured size 10 DHS, I just dislike tying with deer hair.

[attachimg=1]
Dirty Mayfly Dun size 10

Wildfisher

and an Olive Emerger size 16 using the same simple technique

[attachimg=1]

Rabmax

Yes very nice flies there Fred.I did order some Aero Wing to see if i was missing out.My conclusion is it doesn't float any better than the Fishon stuff.It's a little bit finer material & makes a lovely wing.Great stuff.Cheers

Wildfisher

It's the fine fibre I like about it Rab

Robbie

Wildfisher

Robbie, I'm not overly careful about getting "perfection"  in my flies and I post pictures of flies tied for fishing, warts and all. Doubt I have the skill or patience to tie magazine cover flies. That's a whole different game anyway.   :D

Wildfisher

And an Adams tied the same way

[attachimg=1]

Go To Front Page