News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lochan_load

Just the one claret bumble, I've got a leak in my bath so can't et going til I sort it, every time I fix one anther starts, Doing my head in 😫 I'm heading out for pike next Sunday, might get some of the funky before  I go, I got self adhesive eyes from GAC, think they're called mirage eyes, seem to stick well

lochgarryfisher

Leak in your bath, have u tried UV resin? Maybe a bit expensive but would do a waterproof and invisible mend.

Am using self adhesive eyes but those big flies are not stable/firm enough to take them, they just keep falling off.  Might try the old fashioned epoxy as a cheaper alternative to half a bottle of the UV resin.

rannoch raider

Quote from: lochgarryfisher on February 20, 2014, 05:11:22 PM
Would prefer eyes on all these big flies but am struggling, superglue and "Diamond Hard UV Resin" not working, anyone got a solution?

Cracking roach / perch fry imitation above? I'd recommend Bug Bond for a quick and easy head to mount eyes. Particularly good on bigger flies. It also adds a wee bit of subtle weight that can help impart a diving motion that helps get a sink and draw action and movement from long fibre materials.

lochgarryfisher

That a lovely sand eel pattern Rannoch Raider,  the Bug Bond... have been using "Deer Creek Diamond Hard UV Resin", do you know how the two compare?
So far what i have been trying to do is stick the eyes on with either superglue or the uv resin but the flies are so loose and hairy so the eyes fall off.  That second pic, the "roach imitation", the eyes are ok cos the head is clipped and more dense.
Am wondering if i am just been too tight with the resin and need to build up a big head.

rannoch raider

Hi Mark, I can't compare as I've only ever used Bug Bond. I 've never felt the need to look for any other type of resin. When tying bigger 'flies' I push the liquid into the fibres and apply UV. Repeat as often as I need to then apply eyes then repeat again. I cover the entire head and eyes then cure. Finish is rock solid and it can be used to hold your body / wings at whatever angle you find best. Helps give a fairly lightweight dressing an illusion of bulk.

lochgarryfisher

Quote from: rannoch raider on February 20, 2014, 05:57:30 PM
When tying bigger 'flies' I push the liquid into the fibres and apply UV. Repeat as often as I need to then apply eyes
Cheers Rannoch, makes sense now, i have been just trying to put the eyes on then build up the head but with nothing solid behind the eyes it just all goes wrong, but your way with uv first, set it and then the eyes yep i can see that working, thank you very much!!

Clan Chief

Tyed a few Grizzly Palmers this evening

bibio1

I like them. Will do well up the resver. I've been tying soldier snatchers, thin and scruffy

Wildfisher

Leggy Olive Woolly Bugger. This is the most effective streamer I have used on rivers when the water is up. Fished on a HD line and very short leader.

[attachimg=1]

lochgarryfisher

A much easier way of using this Funky Fibre than my other pics, wondering if the tail is too long and if i should do some tandem ones too
[attachimg=1]

Go To Front Page