News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corsican dave

Quote from: bibio1 on January 06, 2016, 10:41:25 PM
We're looking for you to tie us 16 alien lures for the cd challenge. Peter Ross's were rubbish.
don't worry Paul. I've got something extra-special lined up..... :lol:
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Lochan_load

I would definately fish that, is it schlappen palmered?

In terms of a supplier it might be worth looking at costumiers for natural schlappen, depending on how much you are buying you can save a good bit on stuff like that and if you need lady Amherst and other fancy stuff it's a fraction of the price, if I have time later I'll have a look about for you, on the meantime just google natural schlappen and it should come up.

Lochan_load

http://www.amazon.com/Rooster-Feathers-Natural-Strung-Schlappen/dp/B00R57O8M2

A link to some on Amazon, coming from America where they seem easier to find. Featherfactory.co.uk will prob do them as well

Wildfisher

One with a proven track record. This simple streamer has caught me loads of fish and lots of them have been big fish.  A simple olive woolly bugger with white legs for added movement and visibility. 3MM tungsten bead. Another essential very quick tie, it is not even dubbed, the body is formed from the but ends of the olive marabou. Olive works best I guess it looks like a bullhead, a dragonfly nymph  or similar.

[attachimg=1]

corsican dave

Quote from: admin on January 07, 2016, 10:07:24 AM
it is not even dubbed, the body is formed from the but ends of the olive marabou.
yep, I do that too. often leave the straggly bits of the hackle as well. flies to catch fish.... :8)
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Lochan_load

I've got a couple like that With different coloured legs, the Icelanders use that pattern for the big brownies on thingavallar

troutmaddave

Quote from: Lochan_load on January 07, 2016, 09:48:17 AM
I would definately fish that, is it schlappen palmered?

Hi yes it's black schlappen, tied in by the tip. Incorrectly by the way, should be by the but so you get more fiver length at the back. Looks ok though. I love tying these old Spey patterns.

troutmaddave

Quote from: Lochan_load on January 07, 2016, 10:06:23 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Rooster-Feathers-Natural-Strung-Schlappen/dp/B00R57O8M2

A link to some on Amazon, coming from America where they seem easier to find. Featherfactory.co.uk will prob do them as well
Thanks for the link, I'll check it out later on.

troutmaddave

[attachimg=1]

Spey snow fly. Simple tie but lethal early season in dark high water

troutmaddave

[attachimg=1]
Clyde style woodcock and harelug on a size 15 mustad limerick bend.
But rough but it will catch

Go To Front Page