News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rannoch raider

Alternative six inch 'split wing'  :lol:

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

Wildfisher

troutmaddave

Quote from: Roobarb on January 12, 2016, 09:59:03 AM
Good Lord.
I'm guessing that is not one you've tied, there is enough stuff in it to make half a dozen perfectly good flies!!!

I think it is a pity these old styles are dying out. They are things of beauty and they still catch fish, our cutting edge stuff of today will soon be forgotten and then looked back on with derision :wink:

Andy

Not if I can help it they won't.
I like fishing for salmon with a proper fly, not a shaving brush and the old trout flies still work well. Some of them could do with a hair cut though.
I am a wet fly man. Spiders and clydes mainly but I do have a couple of dries that I tie and fish. The dark watcher dry and a blue winged olive. Oh and sometimes a sedge.

troutmaddave

That's my dry fly rod over my shoulder in my avitar!!

rannoch raider

:lol: :lol: :lol:

If your dries are as nice as your salmon flies they'll be worth seeing Dave.

Wildfisher

Come on Dave, get them posted!  :D

We love seeing all kinds of flies here and Highlander will  especially appreciate some good old classy traditional stuff!  :lol:

Lochan_load

Jim those flies are brilliantly tied and yes get your dries up Dave, I'm always looking for patterns to steal....i mean admire  :lol:

troutmaddave

Greenwells spider[attachimg=1]

rannoch raider

Great wee fly for the rivers Dave. Saved the day for me on the Lyon last year when things were quite difficult. Nicely put together. I take it the abbreviated body means that it's tied in the 'Clyde style' ?

shad

Quote from: admin on January 12, 2016, 12:16:36 PM
Same goes for just about all flies  Dave, if I can buy it I will. I don't  tie  flies I can buy for 40p either.  I like to concentrate my tying on stuff I can't buy or have bought and am not happy with  - that might include standard lures that I modify to my own spec.  I also prefer proper barbless hooks so that would be another reason to tie my own.

Alex and I both buy from the US from time to time where the range and choice is much wider.

Dont know why but I never buy flies, I actually find tying tedious at times but I would not feel right using a bought fly. Most commercial flies are great these days , but I wouldnt trust the hooks on those 3 for a pound Kenyan jobs.

Go To Front Page