News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Simple,and a total bugger to see on the water. Works great on a smooth surface or when they won't look at heavier dressed patterns. Jut a few turns of red game and one of blue dun hen then clipped below.

[attachimg=1]

rannoch raider

I'm loving these trout patterns Fred. Had a look at a few other patterns by Hans Weilmann and Bob Wyatt that you've flagged up and they are so functional, beautiful and simple. Can I ask what hooks you favour for these flies? I've been been trying to get my eye in again in for smaller flies by playing around with some similar patterns. I tried the Fulling Mill Ultimate Dry hook  but I don't like it. I think its too fine and has too much flex.  I've reverted to the simple no frills Kamasan B170's and B100's until I find something else.

Wildfisher

These are Fulling Mill Grab Gape 35025 which is a strong wire barbless hook.

haresear

Quote from: admin on May 15, 2017, 01:20:38 PM
These are Fulling Mill Grab Gape 35025 which is a strong wire barbless hook.

I must say that to my eye the gape on that hook looks too big on that style of fly. I prefer a standard gape.
Mind you I am not a trout :)
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Looks huge Alex, but it's not really it's a macro photo and way above life size. The hook shank length is a 16, the gape a 14. It's a matter of getting used to it, to my eye now standard hook shanks look too long.  :lol:  I'm convinced that the wider gape hooks hold fish better and I lose fewer fish on them.   

rannoch raider

Duster Variant.......

[attachimg=1]

Wildfisher

rannoch raider

Wildfisher

Comparadun. First one I have ever tied and I'm thinking the wing might be a bit thin?

[attachimg=1]

rannoch raider

Maybe 'Sage Circa' could show us his successful Paradun pattern that he was using to good effect on the Don ? It would be nice to have something to aim for. :wink:

Go To Front Page