News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haresear

QuoteIve bought some rubber legs to try something different with foam recommended by Fred (Raineys ?).

I find it pays to have a bowl of water beside you to chuck the prototypes in, just to make sure they float the way you intended. Saves wasted effort :)

Alex
Protect the edge.

Crawhin

Very nice Gav your tying is really coming on. I also like your half-hog hopper - good one.

Fachan - what did you use for the head in your Big-head Bibio?

Tks,

Ian 

Clan Chief

Tied this tonight. I have no idea what it represents. All I know is that it looks as if it could be successful.
It is tied on a size 14 grubber hook . Greyish possum body with a partridge wing [thing]

Before I tied this I was thinking of a sand fly . Before you Clyde enthusiast shoot me down in flames I know it is nothing like that but as I set about tying this I did have that pattern in mind.

Couldnt be bothered looking oot my mole skin and purple thread and setting my wing flat to the body. So used possum. Used partrige as a wing . Liked the look of it so didn't bother with a hackle. I call it the Possum and Partridge.

For me thats what tying is all about using your own imagination. Dont get me wrong I do tie set patterns now and again but in most cases I tie flies with materials I have handy.

haresear

Quote from: bordertroot on January 17, 2009, 11:13:39 PM
Good home wanted for foam back flies with rubber legs in the air :(
Bob

:lol: :lol:

Great post Bob.

It gets you thinking about the aerodynamics of your flies, eh?

Alex
Protect the edge.

Malcolm

I've been tying a series of flies that I've called called the White Tailed Robins. There's nothing unique about them - you've probably all got a few in your box. Nevertheless they all have a white back half and a red front half with a brownish wing hackle or backso far I've got CDC buzzers, hoppers, nymphs, f flys and CDC duns.

The one I like best when I do the Hare's Ear Test of throwing it in a water filled beer glass is this one:

Tying thread red silk
Tying rear half white silk, Half way down body tie in brown feather fibre wing (I used grouse)

front half body is red silk with a palmered grizzle and brown hackle wound together

once finished take a pair of scissors and cut away all the hackle fibres from under the body

It has a terrific profile of a hatching olive in the beer glass with the rear half hanging down and the short wing and hackle in the surface.

Whether it'll work - who knows
[attach = 1]

There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

east wind

Right, better get the excuses in early, first attempt using macro with my tripod from Poundies whit an carry on. Also my first tied fly since end of season and first of this kind for a year. Whit an effort, not in the swing at all.

Anyway following on (a while ago) from River Chatter's brown hackled dry, this is the march brown i find very effective. Only one of two hackled dries i use now, other being a LDO.

The partridge feather should be a bit browner but the skin is just about done. Excellent when trout are on duns or emergers. It might however be replaced with a more robust/easier to tie DHE type which i only stated doing last May but don't think so; its one of my favourites.

Cheers,

EW
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

east wind

Help ma boab its not letting me add the picture. Any ideas ?

east wind

Col, its resized to 640x480 (jpeg) using the wfs software. Have been having this problem recently a couple of times now.

Got it, had to copy it onto the desktop  :dunno

Whit a mess i can get into.

EW

River Chatter

Great minds think alike East Wind - I though of the same for March Browns. Haven't tied it up yet, but I reckon with a brownish partridge it would be a good flee.  Your's looks great :D

Wildfisher

Go To Front Page