News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Advice for Fly Fishing Family from California

Started by Calif Fly Fisher, April 28, 2014, 11:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Calif Fly Fisher

We are from California and our family is planning a vacation to Great Britain this June. We would like to show our son London and the surrounding areas. We would also like to fit a fly fishing trip in as well. We are open to any type of fly fishing, but might prefer stream fishing. Having said this, because we do quite a bit of stream fishing, maybe something different would be better?

While I lived in Maidenhead for almost a year, I really don't know where to even begin to start planning for a fly fishing trip in Britain. As we are in the planning stages we are open to any suggestions. We have discussed visiting Edinburgh and then fishing in Scotland, visiting and fishing in Wales or spending our entire trip in England including fishing.

Would anyone have any particular words of wisdom and advice for us?

Regards,
Dale

bibio1

If you were flying to Scotland I'd fly to Inverness and fish further up north. The options are literally limitless.

Thereafter I'd spend a couple of days in Edinburgh and Glasgow.

np01

Hi Dale

If you're in London, you could do worse than driving towards the south coast and try some saltwater fly fishing for bass or mullet in Dorset, or alternatively head over towards Hampshire and get a ticket for one of the less expensive chalk streams (I think most of these streams are relatively expensive, but I think (?) on some of them you might be able to share a rod??). If you wanted something different, there's a tidal pool on the River Itchen, called Woodmill (?) (from memory) which is a night time seatrout pool. Not sure how well it would/would not fish at that time of year, but it certainly ticks the "different" box!

If you make it to Edinburgh, we're 40 mins drive from Loch Leven, which, in terms of fly fishing history/heritage would be hard to beat! We're also 40 mins drive from the Tweed - again a wonderful experience (but admittedly, at that time of year, probably not at its most productive)

Hope these help?

Regards

Nick

burnie

http://www.fishingbreaks.co.uk/hampshire.htm
http://www.chalkstreamflyfishing.co.uk/
http://goflyfishing.co.uk/

Not used any of them my self, but I have fished the areas and these rivers, expensive, but memorable stream fishing, not too far from London.

corsican dave

Dale, if you're doing Scotland and you want real "wow" factor, then Assynt has to be the way to go; far north west but actually only a (stunning!) 2 hour drive from inverness. I would thoroughly recommend the services of Stewart Yates (assynt fly fishing) but you could easily find your own way about. difficult to miss the lochs round there! hotels: kylesku and scourie would probably be pick of the bunch, but there's accommodation in lochinver too. ullapool's maybe a nicer place to stay than lochinver, but not quite as central.

the only problem with assynt and the far north west is that you'll probably want to arrange a return trip very soon..... :8)
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Glenogle

I have never stayed there, but if your looking for something different, why not book into the scourie hotel for a few nights and go loch fishing.

Highlander

Quotespending our entire trip in England including fishing.

If you did you would be missing out on what Scotland has to offer.
Like others I suggest West Coast & Assynt would be a good choice with maybe Inverness as a base.

Tight Lines whatever you choose.

Whoops bit late June you say, stupid me............ always next year.
:roll:
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Go To Front Page