News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Recent posts

Trout Fishing / Re: Poor start to the season
Last post by Wildfisher - April 21, 2024, 09:48:53 PM
I fished it from a boat in the 70s. Stocked with rainbows back them.
Last post by andy m - April 21, 2024, 07:56:11 PM
that's what I've found it fishes a lot better when the water level is down maybe you get a chance to fish drop offs but as you sae Fred not a lot off features the odd drystone dyke in part off the old road , the two main feeder burns that enter the reservoir would be worth a go in that area but even with the water low access look difficult a lot of fallen pine trees all though i have seen walkers up there so there must be a path but my dodgy knees a don't think I will bother would have been good if there were a few boats on it to book you would get some long drifts to try
Last post by Wildfisher - April 21, 2024, 06:49:54 PM
Only thing I really don't like about the Backwater is its uniformity and lack of features. Typical big reservoir I suppose. Not much in the way of bays, skerries etc. In fact I find it fishes better when it's low with a great tide mark along the edge. Then the deeper water is easier to cover without wading.
Last post by andy m - April 21, 2024, 03:57:38 PM
thanks Fred , that's gave me a wee bit more encouragement for my trip to the loch, my pal who am going with on his first time to backwater said to me he promised his elderly neighbour a fish a joked you will need a good few to make a meal , any way we split up in agreed to meet up in a few hours it was bright and warm and the fishing was dour had two wee fish when a met him he said a got a fish for my neighbours tea it's a good yin and sure enough a cracker lucky bugger about 1 3/4 lb on a peter Ross so there is big fish in there but they don't turn up often not had anything bigger than 3/4 lb myself
Last post by Wildfisher - April 21, 2024, 02:47:38 PM
The Backwater fishes well early season and often the fish are bigger as well.
Last post by andy m - April 21, 2024, 02:36:54 PM
going to try backwater on Thursday never fished it in April so might have to fish a bit deeper especially how cold it's been for weeks now in it's a fair size of a loch to warm up might be a poor show but we will see how it goes
Last post by Wildfisher - April 21, 2024, 01:11:15 PM
Forecast for this week is grim again. Cold north winds and rain. :(
Last post by Wildfisher - April 21, 2024, 01:07:19 PM
That's about right for this time of year.
Last post by MacTeeth - April 21, 2024, 12:36:52 PM
Quote from: Wildfisher on April 19, 2024, 08:17:21 PMWhat time did the rise start Sandy?
wis aboot 1.30 pm or so...
Flies And Tying / Re: Traditional wet box
Last post by Crawhin - April 20, 2024, 01:24:07 AM
Really nice ties there Scott. I do need to restock some of my boxes this season but haven't tied a fly for a couple of years now and know the close up eye sight is going to be a shock!   
Go To Front Page