News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Fly Tying demo today

Started by Clan Chief, October 11, 2008, 07:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clan Chief

I went along to the GAC today as Davie McPhail was doing fly tying demos.Had a chat with him and he tied three flies for me. Gave me some great advice and tips on tying dabblers which are among my favourite style of flies. A thoroughly decent bloke and master fly tyer.
I am having a go at tying some dabblers this evening. I have tied my first one which I am quite pleased with but there is room for improvement.......

My dabbler.............

Davie mcPhails dabbler which he tied and gave me today........

Clan Chief

Tail could be much better also the head. D McPhails heads are superb in my opinion. He said today that he first gives them a coat of superglue then varnish. He also has a great shape to them. Start at the eye and then build it up by stepping up each turn. Think I know what to do but its just mastering it. Im having trouble tying in the bottom bunch of mallard.I'll have a go at adding the jungle cock next Gonna keep practicing.

Pattern is as follows

size 10 hook
Tail - Bronze mallard fibres
body - Black rabbit fur or whatever you fancy and mirage tinsel
rib - red wire
Body hackle - black cock
wing - bronze mallard
Beard hackle - bronze mallard

Andrew Moray

Hello Bob,

Quote from: bordertroot on October 12, 2008, 01:51:59 AMWhere do you buy superglue with a brush ?
Saw Davie at a demo and he recommended the Loctite Easy Brush, got mine from the local WH Smith.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Loctite-Super-Glue-Easy-Brush/dp/B0001P0DJW

HTH,
Tony

scotfly

Quote from: gavceltic on October 12, 2008, 03:14:14 AM
Could someone explain to me the process with the superglue ?

Do you build up the head as normal, then apply superglue to the head, allow it to dry then apply varnish?

Yes.  :)
The idea is that the Superglue soaks into the thread and seals it so that when you apply the varnish is doesn't soak into the thread. You can achieve the same result by using a thin varnish first, then apply a thicker varnish after the thin coat has dried. Obviously the drying time is longer than with Superglue, but it's a little safer!

Highlander

Your tail sits better, heid is far too big but all in all well done. Mind you his is no wee. They supposed to be like that ?, not a style of fly I use well not using that name at least. He is a pretty good tier though all things considered.
God I was supposed to call in today & changed my mind at the last minute, pity would have liked to spend a while watching him tie. Saw him at Milngavie a few years back & he is very good.
Secret with varnish is little & often if a good built up is required. Helly Hansen Hard As Nails (Morrisons)(Superdrug)applied first works better than super glue to my mind. Just finish with a couple of coats of clear varnish
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Andrew Moray

Hello Alan,

Sally is as hard as nails,
Helly is just smelly  :wink:

Tony

Go To Front Page