News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Recent posts

Open Board / Re: Fame at last
Last post by Its Me - April 14, 2024, 06:02:35 PM
Been there on both sides.
Open Board / Fame at last
Last post by Wildfisher - April 14, 2024, 01:00:53 PM
My granddaughter overheard my son watching my fishing videos on his phone and asked ..."is that Granda?" She's very impressed her grandad is on YouTube! She was also quite pleased to see me putting the fish back in the water.

My son commented "it is a bit strange watching genuinely interesting fishing videos from the same voice that used to give me into trouble for acting like an idiot as a kid"   ;D

We were all guilty of that at one time or the other!  ;)  ;)

Aquariums & Fish Keeping / Re: New Setup
Last post by Fishtales - April 10, 2024, 05:53:30 PM
You may even come across some who are giving up and giving them away :)

Rosyth.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/aquariums-for-sale/fish-tank-rack/1467343397

My big tank is a 4 foot partitioned.
Last post by Wildfisher - April 10, 2024, 05:26:02 PM
Not sure yet Sandy, but  agree with you that tank prices appear to have massively increased in real terms. I'll shop around a bit. There are a few local FB groups where folks buy and sell tanks and stuff. No rush!
Last post by Fishtales - April 10, 2024, 05:00:33 PM
What size of tanks? What really surprised me was the cost of things. I know it has been years since I had to buy anything major but, even having the tanks, the price is eye watering :)
Last post by Wildfisher - April 10, 2024, 11:20:18 AM
I put my own fishkeeping ideas on hold last year simply because I did not have enough space to do it properly or do the hobby justice. However I've made some significant changes in the house so it's game on again. I want to have at least 3 tanks eventually, couple for breeding and / or quarantine. As I get older and less inclined to travel about I'm looking at more home based hobbies.
Non Fishing Stuff / Re: Viking sword
Last post by SoldierPmr - April 09, 2024, 09:50:00 PM
The Helles are often used as bushcraft knives and small camp knives and you can see why. I've had a No.8 for years, I use to keep it in my fishing jacket and use it for everything including gutting. It lives in the kitchen and takes on most tasks that will damage the edge. It never takes long to get a really good edge back on it.
Non Fishing Stuff / Re: Viking sword
Last post by Bobfly - April 09, 2024, 04:58:39 PM
I really just use the Helle on string, ropes and wood and similar and I rub it up with a fine oilstone and it seems OK for that. It is 3mm in thickness so pretty solid. Mostly I use a No9 Opinel in carbon steel and that is a good one. I intended to buy a No8 in a shop in France years ago but got a 9 for the longer handle length.
Last post by Fishtales - April 09, 2024, 12:46:48 PM
I finally got it water tight :) It is sitting empty at the moment but I have an external cannister filter running on one of my other tanks to seed it and will get it aquascaped, planted and filled the first chance I get.
Aquariums & Fish Keeping / Re: No water Changes
Last post by Fishtales - April 09, 2024, 12:43:41 PM
Quote from: Wildfisher on April 09, 2024, 10:53:21 AMWhat was the outcome of the Corydoras spawning Sandy?

Nothing came of it and they have spawned again since but no young. I am in the process of starting a new tank when I get home. I have an external canister filter running on one tank to get it seeded for it. Still not doing water changes and the plants are going crazy, water is stable and fish are doing great too, even if most are 5+ years old :)
Go To Front Page