News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Here I Go Again.

Started by sandyborthwick, October 09, 2009, 01:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandyborthwick

Last winter after some help and direction form here and Davy (Sandfly) I built my first rod.

Turned out to be a real revelation to me and I am now thoroughly set on this path for the future.

However disaster struck while in Orkney recently due to my own stupidity and a set of rod holders. Alas to say my cherished 10'6" Rainshadow three piece became a seven piece after arguing with the Orkney Tarmac. Before this it truly had turned out to be not only my favourite but almost my best rod.

So I've taken the plunge and ordered three new Rainshadow blanks for myself and a couple for my brother from J. Stockard Fly Fishing in the states again. I have been impressed with the quality of these blanks and they come in at a reasonable price even after the HMRC catch up with you.

So apart form some long hours fly tying this winter I shall be rebuilding my old rod and producing some new models one of which will be the 10'8" 6# in a four piece(wasn't brave enough to try the 5 weight build).

Any way if you are interested in some Fly materials or Rod building stuff J.Stockard are offering a 10USD discount for orders from the Wild Fishing Forum members until 30/11/09 in addition to their current reductions and sales.

Go to www.JSFlyFishing.com and if you purchase anything enter the Code "GC10wild" when at the end of the online check out and get a reduction.

Sandy B.O.   

Wildfisher

:think2 I see they have Sage   Z-Axis  4 pc. - 9' - 3 wt blanks for $345. These would make a nice light river rod.  :think2

sandyborthwick

No mistake WHB,

A lot of the blanks are in the USD80 price range and seem of excellent quality to my uneducated eye.

I am looking forward to the 4 piece 10'8" 6#, if its anything like last years 10 footer rod I'll be estatic.

Davy I am tempted by the 5# but I'll wait until I'm in the process of building the 6# - I wasn't sure the lighter rod would suit me so well with all the near gales I seem to find myself fishing in nowadays.

Sandy B.O.   

sandyborthwick

Just Great Derek, :)

I'm very much makey learny at this but really enjoyed my first attempt last winter. I learnt quite a lot by a few cock ups.

I was eventually satisfied with the result but now know I can do better. The rod was one of the best I've used and I'm not just saying that because I built it.

Any tips I can pick up from your step by step will be fantastc Derek, I have not got one of those rod building books - do you use one or can you recommend one that you think will be helpful but not too complicated.

Now that the seasons over I'm just waiting on Mr Posties delivery and my blanks - hope his strikes are not a big problem :(.

Sandy B.O.

garryh

i have just watched this series of videos very thorough .might give it a go myself this winter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NKKACqIfOo&feature=related

cheers Garry
Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

Wildfisher

Quote from: garryh on October 16, 2009, 06:12:27 PM
i have just watched this series of videos very thorough .might give it a go myself this winter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NKKACqIfOo&feature=related

I watched them too and although  I think they could have got the same info. across in half the time I reckon they are worth watching if,  like me, you know sod all about rod building. Not sure I have the patience for rod building after watching that though.

sandyborthwick

After last years effort its definetly a case of the more time you spend the better the result.

The real reward though is the resulting rod - I was glad of the time I spent on the job as it is a great way to get the rod you want at a very reasonable price.

It is also a bit addictive once you have started it becomes so attractive to continue and I'm sure the more you practice the better the results will be.

I really cannot see me rushing out to buy another of the shelf stick now that I've had a go at this. Probably not everyones cup of tea but it will certainly while away the closed season.

Sandy B.O.

burnie

I think you can use shrink wrap as well for rings and also comes in handy over your loop/needle knot or whatever you use to attach line to leader.

Go To Front Page