News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Rod Building.

Started by sandyborthwick, October 29, 2007, 06:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandyborthwick

Need lots of advice as I have taken delivery of two new Rod Blanks from the States. Always thought I'd give this game a go - so now winters on its way will have a try. First question for all you Rod Builders out there is how do you finish your eyes/guides of - with varnish? or Epoxy? what product? Also how do know the correct cork handle to order they seem to quote diameters but I'm not sure how that relates to my Blanks. Also am keen to understand how the cork handle and reel guide fix to the Rod Blanks. All comments and info are welcomed. Thanks for any input in advance.

Sandy B.O.

rabbitangler

Eyes etc. used to be varnish, but pukka epoxy finishes are longer lasting. Personally I used matt flytying varnish on mine cos I couldn't get rod varnish that didn't have a mirror finish.

Wait till you get the blank, measure it's widest dia and order accordingly.

handle & seat are epoxyed on.

I'm sure there will be more/better advice coming along but just in case thats mine

Peter

roberth

I have tried a few different epoxies for finishing guides and find David Norwich's High Build Polymer very easy to use and it gives a great finish. I use Flex-Coat 5 minute epoxy for fixing the handle and reel seat to the blank. You also have to build up the blank to fit the reel seat. I used to use masking tape for this but have starting using graphite arbors from Shoft Tackle. I don't usually bother with the diameter of the handles as they usually require reaming to fit the blank. These are two of the companies I use.

http://www.davidnorwich.com/Rodcomponents.htm
http://www.shofftackle.com/

Robert.

Wildfisher

Quote from: uncleboo on October 29, 2007, 10:53:48 PM
Do you see the price of Sage kits in the Shofttackle link?
Cheers Robert.

9' #4  Z axis kit. Everything for about $430    :shock:

roberth

I regularly use Shoft Tackle for rod building materials and have never had any bother with them. Very quick replies to email queries and very quick delivery. The prices are also very reasonable.  :D

Robert.

sandyborthwick

Thanks for all the useful tips and info.

Davy have bought two Pacific Bay Rainforest 9' blanks (2 section), one is 6wt and the other 7wt(for heavier conditions). Must say the service from J Stockard Fly Fishing in the USA was great. Blanks arrived well packaged and quickly despite UK postage strikes. Blanks cost roughly $60.00 each plus the Post/packaging. Must say I'm impressed with the product and the quality of the Blanks seems excellent. The total cost was $141.00 and the handles and seats seemed good value as well.

Thought I'd start with two similar Blanks the idea being that anything I learn with the first can be applied to the second. The other thing that struck me with Rod building is that I can have exactly what I want regarding Rod, Guides, and handles and not compromise on whats being offered for sale commercially.

My intention is to see what results I can get over the winter with these Blanks and then if all is going well try my hand at a more expensive Blank like the Sage or something similar.

Thanks again for the tips and any others will be gladly received.

Sandy B.O.

sandyborthwick

Great tip and the Hot Melt Glue Breac  think I'll use that in case I cock up.

Davy nice to know the blanks perform - they certainly look the part.

Breac where did you get the Kevlar thread? are there any mail order Guys for this?

Was thinking Titanium myself especialy for the robustness and weight.

Sandy B.O.

sandyborthwick

Thanks Breac I'll try them.

Sandy B.O.

Go To Front Page