News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

help klinks

Started by garryh, May 10, 2009, 07:58:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garryh

Ive just tied my first klink as my Keogh tyers grade cape arrived yesterday.i thought it looked not too bad for a first attempt but after looking at it for a wee while i think the post may be too near the eye and the body not taken far enough round the bend.i am also not sure if i have used too large a hackle so any advice and criticism will be welcome.be brutally honest i can take it :?
cheers Garry
Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

Crawhin

Garry - looks pretty good to me. I wouldn't have any qualms about tying it on.

Ian

Clan Ford

No problems with that Garry, its a good fly. 

Personally I tend to tie in the body further round the bend.  I always have trouble setting the post in the position I really want but it doesn't seem to bother the fish :D

Norm

.D.

In addition to tying further round the bend you might want to try the Partridge Klinkhamer Extreme hooks to get the "abdomen" hanging down a bit more. If you're planning on using them on rivers don't hesitate to try them in the larger sizes e.g. 12-14 for prospecting.
The hackle does seem a bit long but it's better that way than too short. And you seem to have thrown on plenty of turns too.

I'd suggest leaving the post on the long side is a far better way to go than cutting it short. It's a lot easier to trim it shorter on the river bank if needs be, than it is to make it longer.

Cheers,

.D. 

garryh

thanks for the comments guys.how much of an aid to the floatability of the fly is the post or is it mainly a sighter and do you gink your flies?

cheers Garry
Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

Hans

It looks like a pretty good fly to me, but as you said, personally I tie the body a bit further down the bnd, and the wing a bit further from the eye.
As for the length of the hackle it looks good.
Ans as for floatability, just a little grease on the hackle and the post will do fine.
You may want to shorten the wing a wee bit, as it may flip over on it's side if the wing is too long.
Cheers, Hans.

shanksi

Looks fine to me for a first attempt Garry and better than my first go.  Like Norm I know where I want the post to be but doesn't always end up there.  Have made the mistake of making the post too short then you can't change it.

Ian 

.D.

Quote from: garryh on May 10, 2009, 12:14:40 PM
thanks for the comments guys.how much of an aid to the floatability of the fly is the post or is it mainly a sighter and do you gink your flies?

cheers Garry

Generous turns of hackle are the most important thing (as here :)) in keeping the fly afloat. But a good  post of crinkly poly yarn is probably of some help in really turbulent water where it's just staying afloat and no more. The post's main function is probably as a sighter but I've long thought that it could easily represent (possibly, in some circumstances  :crap) parts of an insect above the film with the "abdomen" representing a shuck.

I add floatant to the post and the hackle - you don't want any on the body. That, inadequate turns of hackle and overly "buggy" :roll: dubbed bodies (that get caught up in the film) are the main causes of poorly tied klinks sitting on their sides. One other cause is greasy tippet trailing behind if using a trailing nymph tied to the bend. I've never had a problem with long posts (and I leave mine fairly long) causing the fly to land on its side. If you do have such a problem try wetting the "abdomen" with saliva,, and giving it a haircut if it's a bit shaggy. If that doesn't work try trimming the  the post down a bit. At the riverbank, not at the vice.

.D.

Go To Front Page