News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Green fly

Started by whinging pom, August 26, 2010, 03:50:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whinging pom

This is probably a bit late in the season but after two days of heavy rain, which will have cleaned off the trees, I got to thinking about the huge infestations of green aphids that cling particaurly to the stream side Acers, and Corylus.
I know from from fishermen of note from other regions that green aphids figure as an important fly in there armour for certain conditions, So I figured it's time to make some up for my Box.

Obviously this is just a para Emerger on a 24 hook, but I think that goes down as a green fly pattern. It just needs a bit more work on the proportions and not sure if theres just a turn or two too much of the hackle. So instead of waiting till I got it right i thought why not put it to the forum for suggestions.

By the way for those who think...''Ach I could ne'er see a bloody 24 let alone tie one''!
Just DO it.
If you cant see it get a magnifier till you can see it (your probably missing things on your normal flies and need one anyway).
It's a great exercise in getting your technique a little bit more disciplined than usual, and when you go up to an 18 or a 16 it seems enormous, really easy, and i bet you notice an improvement.

Clan Ford

I fish green fly patterns quite often and especially on the WoL.  Mine is a wee touch simpler -a flouro green thread body and a wee tuft of poly yarn for the wing.  I don't bother about a hackle. 

Norm

Wildfisher

Nice fly WP. Biggest problem I  have is finding somewhere to buy small hooks.

Any suggestions?

whinging pom

Dont know about glasgow anglers but John Norris down at Penrith always have a few varietes.
if its just about having half a dozen to try a few tyings PM me your address and i 'll send you some..
as I get mine cheap in the states when I go over on the odd work trip.

Ps Oops just noticed the address is on my fly line invoice I will drop some in the post for you tomorrow.

whinging pom

Quote from: Clan Ford on August 26, 2010, 08:38:04 PM
I fish green fly patterns quite often and especially on the WoL.  Mine is a wee touch simpler -a flouro green thread body and a wee tuft of poly yarn for the wing.  I don't bother about a hackle. 

Norm

Norm thats sounds alot easier does it float the right way up? I have done wee flies with a tuft of Polyarn before and found they want to sit on thier sides;. Any chance of a picture.?

Go To Front Page