News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Top flies for caithness area?

Started by zimtrout, February 21, 2011, 11:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zimtrout

Good evening
right question time, who has the top patterns for up in this neck of the woods?
I tie flies so will have a bash at tying some of the suggested patterns up, any help
would be great,  cheers zimtrout

bushy palmer

Same idea as fachan although slightly different approach. I find traditional palmered patterns with a few extra turns on the body hackles does the trick. :)

thewaterbouys

Hogs do well.

Henry :D

zimtrout

thanks gents
have started tying up sedgehogs, in olive, black and claret, and stan headly's half hogs, in the same sorts of colours,some with flashier ribs,  will attempt to tie up some dirty weaker's,  watten warriors, loch ordie's,  not tied many tradition palmered patterns but have had a couple of hours playing about with hen hackles on slightly larger hook to get the hang of it, just for practice! any other must have patterns?? cheers zimtrout

deergravy

Good chance of mayfly in June, be prepared!
Watten doesn't have any, nor Sarclet I think, south end of Calder was hoaching with them when I fished it in June a couple of years ago. Fishing was hectic with big olive-bodied DHEs.
I've always fancied a crack at St Johns when the mayfly are up.

Sandison

Select from the following for a 3-fly cast: Ke-He, Soldier Palmer, March Brown, Greenwell's Glory, Silver Invicta, Bloody Butcher - any time and all the time -  weel, it works for me?
Bruce Sandison

Clan Chief

St Johns Heather fly, Silver Invicta, Watten warrior and Loch Ordies were the most successful flies for me and my two mates last year in July.

Inchlaggan

Quote from: Sandison on February 23, 2011, 12:29:06 AM
Select from the following for a 3-fly cast: Ke-He, Soldier Palmer, March Brown, Greenwell's Glory, Silver Invicta, Bloody Butcher - any time and all the time -  weel, it works for me?

Add Alexandra, Black Pennell, and Dunkeld and that is my list.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

bushy palmer

Aye your Vice is going to be red hot Zimtrout!

Start tying now and you might be ready come June:D

Go To Front Page