News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Black Doctor Trout Fly (dressing wanted)

Started by Highlander, June 24, 2011, 10:47:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highlander

Looking for any info on a Clyde Night Fly off the above name. A guy contacted me with the request but all my endeavours to help have fallen on stony ground. I am aware of a Yellow Doctor but not a Black.
He tells me it was mentioned in a 1985 Trout & Salmon fishing report but does not know what month. An educated guess it might be a summer edition. Any one help on this one.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Inchlaggan

Taff Price- "Fly Patterns" (page 166) has a Blue Doctor  salmon fly and comments-
"One of a series of 'Doctor' flies, others being the Black Doctor and the original Silver Doctor. All have the same wing. Hair wing versions are available for all three. In smaller sizes, with a less complicated wing, they are also used for sea trout."

Thread - Red
Tag- Round silver tinsel and yellow floss
Tail- Golden pheasant topping and tippets.
Butt -scarlet wool
Body- light blue floss
Rib- Oval silver tinsel.
Hackle- Light blue hackle palmered, blue jay or guinea fowl at throat.
Wing- Tippet in strands, golden pheasant tail, married strands of scarlet, blue, yellow swan,florican bustard, peacock wing, light mottled turkey tail, married strands  of summer duck, and brown mallard, golden pheasant topping over all.
Head - read or black.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Highlander

No joys on this one so far, I will keep my ears to the ground.
Thanks Inchlaggan & Darwin for the Salmon fly dressings but the question was
QuoteBlack Doctor Trout Fly (dressing wanted)
A nightime Clyde fly
:roll:
Tight Lines

Nemo me impune lacessit

Highlander

col, your recall is bang on. You are thinking about The Bloody Doctor or as I like to call it Red Legs, a Heather Fly imitation.
Hook: 12
Thread: black
Body: black Ostrich herl
Rib: fine flat silver tinsel (I prefer fine oval as it is stronger)
Hackle : dyed pillar box red , I like a Badger dyed red.
Wing: Tied pent as in "Sedge"  a pale Starling feather.
Tight Lines

Nemo me impune lacessit

Darwin

Highlander

QuoteThe best I can do
It's bloody better than anything I can come up with. Clyde Flies is my thing & I am stuck
Thanks Darwin the name is certainly right but I doubt an American Wet Fly has found it'self to the upper reaches of the River Clyde in Scotland, but one never knows. :)
Tight Lines

Nemo me impune lacessit

Darwin

Maybe it is a little known local black version of the Yellow Doctor?  I am outta my league here so time for a swim.
http://www.trout-salmon-fishing.com/clyde-wet-flies-4.htm

Highlander

Darwin, I too thought that but untill I find the "right" dressing anything I said to the guy would be an educated guess.
Tight Lines

Nemo me impune lacessit

bushy palmer

From Trout and Salmon Magazine March 2009 Page30

"The old fishing books for 1924 are redolent of a bygone age of Salmon fishing. The 1st Earl Haig, a descendant of the Norman family, de Haga, whose earliest charter at Bemersyde is dated 1162, was presented with Bemersyde in 1921 by public subscription. In 1924 the beat was lightly fished. In that year the total catch of 34 salmon was accounted for by only nine anglers. No fishing pressure at that time! Fifteen of the fish were taken on a Wilkinson and six on a Black Doctor"

Go To Front Page