News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

sprite hooks

Started by col, December 01, 2011, 05:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

col

Are they any good? Ive hundreds of them in various sizes both down eye (which i could maybe use) and up eyed.

Traditionalist

They don't have a very good reputation, ( mostly complaints about the finish), but I have never personally used any.  Sprite does not have a web presence, they only sell to dealers in bulk.

I think Sprite is the last traditional hook maker in the UK after the business was restarted. ( There were none left before that).

TL
MC

Malcolm

These are the lightweight salmon and seatrout doubles that I use. Hundreds of salmon and seatrout on them and not a single failure so far, the very best of the best.

I haven't used any of their trout hooks. Steve Parton considered them very highly - of course he sold them!
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Andrew Moray

Hello Col,

I ordered a few from Steve Parton when I started tying, and had no problem with them - wet fly, grub and international.
The grub hook in particular is an excellent hook.
Not sure if the Trigghammer is a Sprite hook, but I've used quite a few of those with no problems, unfortunately he couldn't get them in bulk in the smallest size when I tried to reorder them.

HTH,
Tony

Andrew Moray

Hello Col,

I could send a few grub hooks to allow a comparison if need be ?.
My pleasure.

Enjoy the weekend,
Tony

EDIT - a wee pic of the Grub hook from Stocks website:
http://www.stocksfishingtackle.co.uk/sprite-grub-hooks-2231-p.asp

Malcolm

Col
I don't know if you tie flies like the funneldun or Easy Peasy USD but those flies work very well with up eyes.

Malcolm
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Go To Front Page