News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Naomi - Step by Step

Started by Wildfisher, March 11, 2013, 12:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Quote from: Teither on March 11, 2013, 06:21:58 PM
Thanks for that demo - it's very clear. Do you ever use these on the rivers ?

yes in summer

Highlander

QuoteIt just so happens I have limited supplies and can offer this precious material at £250 / packet.   

Urine stained Polor Bear fur can be an added attraction................ bugger getting it though. Last person that was going to get me some I have not heard from him for a while.
:roll:
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Billy

Just wondering what you use for the Dolly Parton version or is that where the rest of the yeti scrotum gets used. :roll:

Ive tied something similar, not with a scrotum or anything resembling one, but with a long bright blue foam for damsels. I'll maybe call it a Jordan.

Billy

shad

Cheers for the dressing looks great, will be trying this on those Iberian Barbel when I go to Spain in May.

Allan Crawford

Thanks Fred, you put a bit of effort went in to perfecting the materials.
It would make a good bob fly on a windy day as well !

Billy

If you have a Ponden Mill near you they have a small craft section and you can pick up a sheet of foam for about 60p or there abouts.

Various colours and sheet size is between A3 and A4. I bought a blue and a tan coloured the last time I was in. I'm not sure what you would pay for the same through a fly tying suppliers.

Billy

deergravy

I notice you keep the body on the small side - the fly looks 'all-hook'.(And legs of course)
Makes sense - I tied a batch of foam-bodied cicadas last year, used a much bigger, wider body, and while it brought plenty of takes, I failed to hook up a single one!
They may have been doing the 'drown - then - eat'  thing , I've never been able to hold my nerve long enough to see if it's true.

Wildfisher

That's right Dave I like to keep the hook predominant for that very reason. This fly hooks up really well with medium to big fish but only the most eager parr gets hold of it.

On rivers I like to fish  this fly in pocket water on hot sunny days in summer so keeping parr off is essential. It's  what I am using in this video (olive version). You can see the fly at approx. time 1:45 you'll see it has an even shorter body so even more of the hook shows. I'm still trying these things out and vary the fly quite a bit.

A Peaceful Place

With the foam cicada you sometimes get a lot of leader twist -  due  to the  body being wider  than the thorax.  I think. Naiomi (skinny with long legs  :lol:) is more streamlined and I don't get the same bother unless she loses a leg and becomes unbalanced. The folded back foam head helps streamline it too.

Buanán

I tied a few up yesterday, my first couple didn't pass muster with the float test. I reckon I had too much body forwards and the "The folded back foam head" pulled too tight, compressing more of the midriff and positioning the folded head with a looser fit seems to have sorted it, the latest couple now float on a more even keel, even in a cup full of water I'm liking the leg twitch myself.

Can't wait for the snow to shift  :8)

Go To Front Page