News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Dry Flies To Carry - A Rationalization Exercise

Started by Wildfisher, December 20, 2013, 11:11:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

So it looks like if you carry 3  flies in your main box and 300 in an "emergency box" then you are really only carrying 3 flies.

My main box will empty this coming season, so I won't be carrying any flies at all.   :lol:

Billy

I usually carry a small box of dries but my main box is wets etc.

I use a tobacco tin with resealable plastic bags which I bought through the company stationary department.

I can easily have hundreds in the box at any one time and I have recently upgraded to a slightly larger tin. I had to explain they were for flies and i was not the local dealer.

Billy

Highlander

Billy I saw your system of storage/packaging at Dundonell.  Meant to say at the time that i thought that it was a good idea. I'll do it now seeing that it has cropped up again.
Just a simple idea but so effective. I had a look for those "tobacco" tins in a few supermarkets but the whisky companies don't seem to be doing them now. Something better than an old Golden Virginia tin.
As for the original question I carry too many flies but they take up so little room & you never know what fly will appear to pays to be ready for any circumstance.
having said that if you "know" your river then you would be conversant with hatch patterns.
Our American friends over seas have in many cases "Hatch Patterns" logged in text for most of the main rivers certainly the Blue Ribbon ones.
For example
http://www.perfectflystore.com/hcbattenkill.html
No rationalization from me........at the moment.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Lochan_load

I'm with Alan on this, only carry a small box of flies, a couple of sedge hogs different sizes, black and cow dung. Both reliable. A couple of DHEs, a double humpy and a couple of wick hams fancies, if the fish don't want any of those you might as well go home anyway!! Less is more.
A couple of people have mentioned a dirty poly, not familiar with that fly, anyone fancy posting up a picture so I can nab it?

Wildfisher

Lochan_load

Cheers, very similar to the dhe but like the fan effect and the hook bend on the sbs, I'll give it a hurl and see what comes up, looks a solid pattern

Go To Front Page