News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Synthetic Quill

Started by Wildfisher, January 23, 2014, 11:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

The microfibbets  are beautifully tapered and look great on the finished fly. A very pleasing effect for the tier at least.  :D

Fishtales

I've also used the fibres from one of those brush type draft excluders that go on the bottom of doors.

Hence the name of this dry fly :)

Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

shad

That quill looks good, never had the patience to strip natural ones.I try to get a similar effect using 2 colours of danvilles nylon thread , works ok , but I shall buy some of those quills if I ever see them.

Lovely fly he tied but a hell of a lot of work for a Grayling fly that could get snagged first cast :(

Wildfisher

Quote from: shad on January 25, 2014, 10:40:15 AM
Lovely fly he tied but a hell of a lot of work for a Grayling fly that could get snagged first cast :(

I very much enjoy his videos and admire his skills, but,  like Oliver Edwards, I believe much of what he ties are fly tying flies rather than necessary fishing flies. By that I separate fly tying for fishing purposes from fly tying for fly tying purposes and as  a hobby itself. Nothing at all wrong with that, but I am more in the Wyatt camp when it comes to fishing flies. The simpler and quicker to tie the better although I do sometimes tie for the fun of it.

Did you know there are fly tying exams and certificates now?  :lol:

Billy

I had a delivery of synthetic quills this week from Anglers Lodge. £3 15 per pack and good delivery time.

I,m going to tie some buzzers and try them on a static line on a flat calm. I,ll also give them a bash with a range of flies after seeing the quality of the tying on the forum over the last few weeks.
Truly inspirational.

Looking forward to getting on the vice this week.

Billy

Go To Front Page