News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Model Making

Started by Wildfisher, February 14, 2014, 09:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Nice flies, I'd be frightened to lose them.

My gut feeling is these flies  will not be as effective as simple general impression designs.   What do you think?

http://www.jsonsweden.com/en/

haresear

Quote from: admin on February 14, 2014, 09:23:58 PM
Nice flies, I'd be frightened to lose them.

My gut feeling is these flies  will not be as effective as simple general impression designs.   What do you think?

http://www.jsonsweden.com/en/

I don't know if they would be more or less effective, but one thing really sticks out on those dun patterns. The hook.

If I was going to the trouble to tie super - realistic duns (and was capable of it), I would tie them upside down so that the hook point and bend was proud of the surface.

Not that I could ever attempt anything like those excellent tyings.... :shock:

Alex

Protect the edge.

Bobfly

A couple of years ago I won an assortment of two dozen of these flies in a crossword competition. I have not brought myself to use any of them as, up close, they are works of art and the detail is quite remarkable. I take them out and look at them from time to time whilst lashing up another Kate McLaren !!
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Darwin

I would never pay those prices for a fishing fly!  Model making is the correct term, not my idea of fly fishing.  I would bet the yuppie types keep them in business so all is good for the both of them.

shad

Nice looking flies but really pointless IMHO , a trout cant see the detail of a May fly duns wings from under the water so why use an imitation with them on?

Midgie Hater

They're incredible imitations but as Alan says the general concensus suggests movement, and perhaps shape are more important, but yes, would be interested to see how they fished.

My local tackle shop owner Jim does some very good mayfly imitations - not in the same ballpark as those mind you, but he uses his own propriety "Jim's Wings" for them, and his Daddies too and certainly the Daddy can be deadly.

Wildfisher

There is another aspect to these flies that is not obvious. I first heard about them in Angus Angling yesterday.  Niel's dad had some samples they got from a rep.  He threw one on the floor, a detached body up-wing dun,  stood on it, picked it up and it was undamaged. They are extraordinarily robust and just bounce back into shape when squashed.  :D

Bobfly

I have an email exchange with Claes Johansson in which he told me that he would replace any of his flies that have come apart as a result of fishing rather than lost up a tree. They are indeed very tough to handle. I also have a fly box which he made. He made this by hand right down to the hand made brass hinges and little catch and with the box made from mazur birch veneer. It too I have never taken out of the house!
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Go To Front Page