News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Hebridean flies for June/July

Started by bibio1, May 18, 2014, 07:01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bibio1

Most of us will go for the usual Kate's and clan flees for the Hebridean islands but if you had to have a couple of dispensibles what would they be not just for the machair lochs both those on the east coats of these islands.

I'm going to fish these lochs in june and don't want to take the kitchen sink.

Harpo

Two colours of those cdc and elk !

Suki1312

Gink the usual flies up and your in for sport
Every day is a school day

Wildfisher

Legs, legs and more legs.  :8)

Big terrestrials and well underused in Scotland but don't tell anyone.  :D

Foam Cicada fly tying

Midgie Hater

I don't want to be seen to be promoting any one fly-seller over another, but I believe this chap has a good reputation. Maybe some our Hebrides members know him? I mentioned this maker in my Quey report as my friend got two very nice Brownies on this guy's long-legged black gnat. Your "legs and more legs" comment  (watching re-runs of Hot Gossip-era TOTP again Fred?) reminded me. Actually there's al of of useful advice on his site too. I've order a couple of Spiny Normans, some of the aforementioned Black Gnats and a few others, and will let you know how they fish - once I get the bike fixed!

http://www.islandflies09.co.uk/

Billy

I had a lot of success over there with a Goats Toe.

Billy

Midgie Hater

Oops, sorry, I just noticed this is the fly-tying thread, and there am I posting links to fly sellers! Apologies! (does look good though :) )

Colin Fionn

I have never found Hebridean trout fussy in my occasional visits there. The locals have a few of their own patterns that certainly catch fish, but black always worked for me there so if you don't want to take too many boxes of flies my advice would be to take some wet Bibios, Kates, Blae&Black, Blue Zulu, Pennel, etc plus a mini-muddler or three for windy days and add a few flashier ones for bright days; maybe Dunkeld, Teal Blue&Silver and Soldier Palmer. For dries you won't need mayfly imitations, so a few F-flies, Sedgehogs and Hoppers should cover it.

Have a great time! Wish it wiz me.  :(

bibio1

Colin,

Thanks for that. Looks like your flee box would do the trick.

Cheers

Paul

Go To Front Page