News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Dying capes

Started by Lochan_load, November 12, 2014, 08:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lochan_load

I'll give that a bash at some point Paul, don't have the orange colour yet. Wee fly with the cape from yesterday, like that it's not purple but a proper winey colour

pedropete

good efforts,  id be happy with that claret, and your right it does make a nice fly!! 

I had  the dye pot out today with veniards kingfisher blue, half capes, and some deer-hair, as has been said it's not rocket science ,a wee line I always remember is "a feather boiled is a feather spoiled" reminds me to keep the heat in check..apart from that its straight forward enough..

standing on the shoulders of giants here, as usual, plenty internet sites with great info ... if I'm doing capes and skins I paint a 50/50 mix of glycerin and surgical spirit to keep it supple and not dry out as much..flys to follow ..

Lochan_load

Good hint with the glycerin and surgical spirit, capes do end up a bit brittle after you've cooked em!!ill give that a try next time. That blue dye is excellent much better than any ready dyed colours you can buy, same with the hot orange for salmon flies and dunkelds/doobries etc

pedropete

aye the blue is nice, straight red is ok too, and the olives in med,golden are handy, its suck it and see for me as i don't do enough dying to repeat most things.

pedropete

more tales from the dye pot..golden pheasant rump and breast feathers in veniards claret,red,sunburst and golden olive,and a wee batch of bronze mallard too.

Lochan_load

All look good, like that red. I tried dying grey mallard but found it didn't take the dye well and ended up more of a tint than anything else. Assumed it was because of the natural waterproof on it? Yours has come out well

pedropete

aye,never really put any thought into that..other than i picked out the less well bronzed ones,you know the pale ones you dont use for dabblers..

Robbie

Thought I'd give this dying lark a shot, thought it would be more involved than it was.

Before:
[attachimg=1]

And after:
[attachimg=2]
One chartreuse and one golden yellow. Quietly pleased with the results.

Clan Chief

Look great Robbie. I really need to have a go a to this too.

Robbie

Cheers Alan, I even managed not to make a mess. Only complaint was the smell. My hands aren't even green or yellow.

However I fear this could be as adictive as tying muddlers, but I know who to blame  :lol:

Go To Front Page