News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Emergers Are Not Dry Flies

Started by Wildfisher, July 21, 2015, 08:56:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoldierPmr

I would guess not as a dry fly does not penetrate the surface film. So this begs the question about fishing hoppers which has legs what pop through the film  :makefun

burnie

I think the definition of a dry is straight forward enough, a fly that represents an insect that has hatched and is on the surface of the water(including wind blown terrestrials). Now the question is do dry only waters allow an emerger or not, for me if it's fished on a floating line in the surface film then yes, you are sight fishing the same as a dry.

corsican dave

Quote from: SoldierPmr on July 22, 2015, 10:20:00 AM
I would guess not as a dry fly does not penetrate the surface film. So this begs the question about fishing hoppers which has legs what pop through the film  :makefun
i'm glad you raised this before I was tempted to enter the fray..... :lol:
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Bobfly

If you can see any of it it is a "dry" ..... if you cannot see any of it it is a "wet".
That will do me !!
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Wildfisher

Quote from: SoldierPmr on July 22, 2015, 10:20:00 AM

With a properly ginked, and above all properly tied hopper,  the legs will float too.   :D

SoldierPmr

Quote from: admin on July 22, 2015, 11:59:55 AM
With a properly ginked, and above all properly tied hopper,  the legs will float too.   :D

Good answer Fred but let's say for argument sake a novice angler is fishing a dry fly only area and is using a hopper which is not Ginked properly and the legs dangle a couple of MM under the surface. Will said angler be grabbed by the ear and turfed off the water?

Wildfisher

If all or  part of a fly is underwater  by definition  you cannot be fishing dry fly. 

Wildfisher

Quote from: Roobarb on July 23, 2015, 05:13:34 PM
But by the same logic you cannot be fishing wet either.

That's why I said right at the start an emerger is a wet fly with a built in indicator.  :D

Bobfly

By seeing any of it I did of course mean see any of it in view at the surface,,,,!!
ie. anything showing and in view equals "dry" and nothing showing at/in/above means "wet".
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

haresear

Quote from: Roobarb on July 23, 2015, 11:35:22 PM
But that is not what you actually said was it :roll:
You need to spend a bit of time on FFF to get the hang of this sort of thread :lol:

Andy

Life's too short :)

Alex
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page