News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Heron herl

Started by Barnyard, November 15, 2016, 08:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barnyard

I was recently given a whole load of materials by a widow of a fellow angler. Amongst the usual stuff were a few interesting items including quite a bit of Heron herl. Are their any restrictions on using it? I seem to recall it being banned or its sale restricted but cannot remember where I got this presumption from.

Should I just go ahead and use it?

Lochan_load

Can't see you getting in any trouble for just using it, i got a load of weird and wonderful bits and bobs from a mate who hadn't tied since the 70's can't remember half the stuff but one of them was labelled as condor  :shock:  surely that wasn't legal even then!

Inchlaggan

Technically yes, but this applies to all feathers regardless of species. There must be some provision for fly-tying materials.
For a prosecution to stick it would be required to demonstrate that a bird had suffered at your hand- unlikely in this instance.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Barnyard

Thanks for the replies. I was looking at doing some stone midge spiders with the herl and pass a few on. Knowing I am safe to use it is a relief as I couldn't bring myself to bin it all. Once back home I shall tie a few up and post the resulting flies up here.

Go To Front Page