News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Fly Tying For The Traditionalist

Started by Wildfisher, January 12, 2007, 09:32:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Mike Connor sent  me this link.

http://shorterlink.co.uk/6573

Fly fishing or bait fishing?

Ian_M

No fur or feather and added bait, so it's bait fishing I guess.
Ian

Fishtales

The 'Bread Fly' for Mullet has been around for a long time and, as you say, is artificial. Power Bait is banned at a lot of fisheries  and this, to me, is just another way of getting round that. It is still bait fishing and will still be illegal where it is banned.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Ptinid

Why does it matter? Both are novel (ish) methods. I have to say that I can't see the powerbait 'fly' casting very well, and can imagine the powerbait spraying all over the place since it seems to be being used in a gel form.

Angling is catching fish on rod & line. That's pretty much it. The edges of each discipline are blurred, and that's OK too. Surely we're a big enough church to accomodate each others ideas without getting sniffy about it.

I like the idea of the cheese butty fly (from the 'hot' debate).  :)

It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.  ~John Steinbeck

haresear

QuoteAngling is catching fish on rod & line. That's pretty much it. The edges of each discipline are blurred, and that's OK too. Surely we're a big enough church to accomodate each others ideas without getting sniffy about it.

That's my opinion too, but from the tone of the debate on that forum, there are a few sniffy people around.

I must admit I don't like people telling me I shouldn't do this or that, because they don't think I should. Stuff them. I need all the help I can get and use the methods I like to use.

I would say the powerbait fly is using bait because we are adding smell and taste to the fly. If it caught wild brownies more effectively then a Peter Ross, I might even use it where allowed. :shock: 

Alex
Protect the edge.

Pearly Invicta

Not much different to salmon fishers wiping their Willie Gunn on their wife's knickers.

Not sure it would be all that effective anyway- unless fished slowly enough for the trout to locate it by smell.

nant_fisher

Some ridiculous comments on that forum, one person tries to show people a fly he has created and the next minute he's getting slagged off for it. Why can't people see that they arn't the final voice on everything. I'm surprised it all calmed down in the end where that was all heading.
Powerbait fly seems a bit over the top but each to their own i suppose.

Cheers

Robbie
Adventure time

Wildfisher

I agree with breac but draw the line at applying concoctions like power bait. It's bait, just like a worm or maggot surely. To each his own though, as I always say as long as it does  not contravene the fishery rules it's OK.

Malcolm

One should always fish the dry fly for trout. Fishing bait or wet fly teaches the trout to look downwards for their food. It spoils the fishing for proper chaps.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

haresear

QuoteOne should always fish the dry fly for trout. Fishing bait or wet fly teaches the trout to look downwards for their food. It spoils the fishing for proper chaps.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Go on yersel'

McHalford
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page