News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Fly Tying Lessons

Started by Arbroath Smokie, February 08, 2007, 10:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arbroath Smokie

I'd love to learn how to tie flies but am not sure where I can go to do this. I learnt some very basic fly tying as a junior (30 years ago) when the local college held fly tying classes for a few evenings, but as I have never done anything since then, it has all been long forgotten. Thought it might be an idea to suggest that as we have fishing trips and stravaigs etc during the season, maybe we could organise fly-tying evenings occasionally in the darker months. As well as being an excuse for you meet up with your buddies for a bit of a social, you could also maybe help out some of the noddys like myself by learning them some basic fly-tying skills.

What do you think?

johnsd

I'm all for that we could meet sarry heed in the gallowgate on a tuesday :lol: :lol:but ye might have to get a bus if your drinking.J
yer going where

The General

Scotia Clutha or Victoria bar fur me.

Davie

Pearly Invicta

Ian, there's a great fly tying club in Broughty Ferry. The Ferry Fly Dressers. The annual dinner is coming up if you fancy it?

There are loads of great tyers there and they are all keen to pass on tips (as are most tyers after all).

rabbitangler

Tried to do night school in Monrose & Brechin a few years ago, someone tried in Arbrosth too - very few takers, certainly not enough for the council to keep it going. Find a venue & I'm sure we could get a few folk along. As long as it doesn't get too intense, 'Today we will be tyingknob gobblers  and if you do not hav zee right materials you vill be shot!!! :x@ type of thing!!

Traditionalist

Quote from: Arbroath Smokie on February 08, 2007, 10:42:37 PM
I'd love to learn how to tie flies but am not sure where I can go to do this. I learnt some very basic fly tying as a junior (30 years ago) when the local college held fly tying classes for a few evenings, but as I have never done anything since then, it has all been long forgotten. Thought it might be an idea to suggest that as we have fishing trips and stravaigs etc during the season, maybe we could organise fly-tying evenings occasionally in the darker months. As well as being an excuse for you meet up with your buddies for a bit of a social, you could also maybe help out some of the noddys like myself by learning them some basic fly-tying skills.

What do you think?

Have a look here;

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/beginners/

Read through it a bit. Have a look at the links Scotfly posted.   It is not really all that difficult. Initially, the major difficulty is coordination of hand and eye.  This is usually quickly overcome.  After that, you just need to know which patterns you want to use, which materials to obtain, and a few simple techniques.

TL
MC

Go To Front Page