News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Loch Flies....

Started by andrew, November 25, 2007, 06:06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrew

Hi,
In preparation for a few early summer trips to Scotland I have planned for next year Loch fishing for wild brownies, I have started tying up some flies and would value your opinions on the patterns I have chosen and perhaps your suggested half dozen must have loch patterns....

My list stands at the moment in various sizes and colours...
1. Black Pennel
2. Bibio
3. Silver Invicta
4. Kate Mclaren muddler
5. Sedgehog
6. Bumbles
All the best,
Andy  :D

haresear

Nothing wrong with that selection Andy.

To cover the olive hatches and Sepia Duns (you may come across hatches of these in early summer), I would add something in olive/yellow and something brown to your list. Something like an Olive Quill or Greenwell and a Dad's Favourite.

Where are you headed?

Alex
Protect the edge.

andrew

Alex, staying South this time, a couple of days on Loch Dee, the trout in there are lovely  8) with perhaps a go at the sea trout in the Cree if there is any water.
All the best,
Andy.  :D

kiegers

Good selection of flies Andrew, You might want to add

Ginger Quill
Blae and Black
Ke He
Soldier Palmer
Dark winged Wickhams

And a Teal bue and silver,Dunkeld,Peter Ross is all you need for the Cree.

In sizes 10 and 12    Hope this helps.

Mark.. :)

andrew

Thanks Mark, nice one,
All the best,
Andy  :D

Tokely

Hi all, first of all this is my first post so hello all !! I'd have to say a Loch Ordie and a Soldier Palmer two flies i use when going after wild broonies.

Wildfisher

welcome to the forum Tokely

Malcolm

For Loch Dee I'd add a size 14 (or smaller) claret bumble ..... and don't forget your dry flies!

Malcolm
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

scotfly

Andrew, along with your list and the others mentioned I would feel naked  :shock: and inadequate without a few of these at hand. http://www.wildfisher.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=4728.0

haresear

One thing I would say, is that maybe too much focus (by anglers) is put on the bob fly. Mostly this (the bob) is the fly that will produce, but when it doesn't, it makes sense to have alternatives to hand.

I like to have some wire bodied flies to get down a wee bit. I just tie spiders with wire bodies. If you have some hare's ear nymphs etc., these will do fine too.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page