News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Split Wing Dries

Started by Wildfisher, December 23, 2007, 11:21:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Feather slip wings that is, the flies of my boyhood. Greenwell's, Red Quill etc

Can't say I've tied one for 30 years.

Anyone still use / tie this style of fly? If so how do you stop the wings fragmenting when tying in and how well do they last when fishing?

haresear

I gave up on them years ago too. Apart from me being too ham-fisted :( to tie the damn things, I think they are unnatural. 99% of duns come down with wings folded so a single wing is more natural.

For spinners, hackle points, polyyarn etc. all present a more translucent effect than the opaque feather slips.

Alex
Protect the edge.

.D.

:|

Not me.

I don't use that many flies with upright wings anyway. Humpies, The Usual and the odd "greenwells" with looped Poly Yarn for a wing. I suppose parachute posts would count  too. Most of the time I use wings sloping rearwards, albeit sometimes only slightly; usually deer hair or CDC.

I've always preferred hackled "standard" dries anyway: Borderer, Grey Duster, Baby Sun Fly, (the slightly more modern) Grizzle Mink etc.

Does anyone use those transatlantic "no-hackle" patterns with feather slip wings? (talk about crap flies....).

.D.

Wildfisher

Quote from: .D. on December 23, 2007, 11:50:24 AM
Does anyone use those transatlantic "no-hackle" patterns with feather slip wings? (talk about crap flies....).

Not sure what these are? Spiinner patterns? Gierach has a few of these in his Good Flies book - they look crap.

Only advantage I see with split wings is that the fly should land right way up due to the  aerodynamics of the fly - think shuttlecock

.D.

Quote from: admin on December 23, 2007, 01:05:22 PM
Not sure what these are? .....

Sorry - should have been more explicit: No-hackle dun imitations.

This sort of pish:

http://www.umpqua.com/ps-245-54-no-hackle-lawsons.aspx

.D.

Wildfisher

Quote from: .D. on December 23, 2007, 01:19:30 PM
This sort of pish:

I see what you mean...................... :D

Must be hard to see these and get them to float in rough water

Wildfisher

Quote from: haresear on December 23, 2007, 11:37:14 AM
For spinners, hackle points, polyyarn etc. all present a more translucent effect than the opaque feather slips.

Possibly a bit off topic, but what's the pattern for that sparkle tailed olive parachute thingy you designed  last year – I've lost it. Might tie some flees today.

scotfly

haresear

QuotePossibly a bit off topic, but what's the pattern for that sparkle tailed olive parachute thingy you designed  last year ? I've lost it. Might tie some flees today.

I can't post a photo because my daylight bulb has given up the ghost, but the dressing is...

Body - superfine dubbing to suit the body of the insect (lightish olive usually)
Parachute hackle - I used grizzle dyed olive or golden olive cock.
Wing/post - White Wing n' Flash, poly yarn or similar
Tail- three strands of pearl Krystal Flash
Tying silk - to match the body

No ribbing, but if you can be bothered (I can't) i'm sure it will work fine.

I started tying this fly with flexi floss as a body, then couldn't be bothered to tie it in and just used superfine dubbing. I never noticed any difference in effectiveness, so I just use the dubbed body for quickness now.

Alex
Protect the edge.

rabbitangler

If they are tied well they look lovely - as a tying exercise - as a fishing fly ? Lifes far too short!

Peter

p.s. same as a fully dressed salmon fly

Go To Front Page