News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Help Dennis!

Started by Wildfisher, December 23, 2007, 05:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

I'm  sitting here  trying to tie small parachutes, 16 and 18 and am struggling to keep the bulk down and get a decent wing post.

Any tips?

haresear

Fred, where is the bulk? Is it where the wing post is secured to the hook, or where the thread wraps around the post to stiffen it?

In either case, superglue may help. I find that I rely on superglue a lot now to keep the wraps to a minimum. Just run it along the thread very sparingly and precisely. It is particularly useful for stiffening a wing post and also for finishing a fly. I never use varnish now and had in excess of 40 fish in a day on one parachute dry, before it was torn to bits.

I feel a bit of a fraud giving fly tying tips as I am a very untidy tyer and just do things my own way, but superglue plays a big part these days for me.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Alex,  basically yes. I have improved it a bit by using ultra fine kevlar thread and varnish – I'll  get some superglue themorra as I'm oot of it right now. Definitely a case of too many wraps. Also tying the post flat on top of the shank now and folding it up, that helps a lot although it's fiddly  to do – SG will help with that too.

I'm quite enjoying this – I have been holding off tying flies for a few months  but now I'm getting back into it with the season rapidly approaching ................... :roll:

Another problem is tying in flexiflos and keeping the bulk down. Need three hands for that job

.D.

Quote from: admin on December 23, 2007, 06:00:09 PM
............................ I'll  get some superglue themorra as I'm oot of it right now............

:shock:

.D.

Wildfisher

Quote from: col on December 23, 2007, 06:22:44 PM
now i just double the poly yarn in a v around the shank secure it with a w figure of eight then give it a few turns  at the root where the hackle will follow
just tried it, works a treat

Quote from: col on December 23, 2007, 06:22:44 PM
For tying in flexi floss GSP thread may be the answer (i find its best the flexi floss is tied in should be stretched under tension
and so does that

Thanks to everyone for these great  tips.

scotfly

Sorry Fred only just saw this one. Put your seeing glasses on   :goog the answer is infront of you..... http://www.wildfisher.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=4747.0

Flexi floss... tie it in with one or two tight wraps then stretch the hell out of it as you continue wrapping.

Wildfisher

Thanks Dennis, how did I forget that? Tried all these methods and they work great. That is certainly the way for flexifloss. At which stage you tie stuff in also makes a difference in reducing bulk.

Go To Front Page