News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Kinkhamer Hooks

Started by Wildfisher, April 04, 2008, 05:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

I had a word with my bank manager last week  and managed to get a second mortgage, so  bought these Partridge Klinkhamer  hooks in various sizes.

They are enormous………….. a 16 is about the equivalent of a normal size 12.  Does anyone use the 10's and 12's?

Clan Ford

Quote from: buzz on April 04, 2008, 07:58:38 PM
Not unless i am dry fly fishing for Tarpon or humped backed whales.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

drumgerry

I really like the Klinkhamer Extreme hooks by Partridge and having watched on his dvd Ollie Edwards describe how Hans Van Klinken always intended the fly to be a big un I have used the fly in size 10 - and in Kl'hamer Extreme and the normal Kl'hamer hooks that ends up being a bloody big fly.  The Extreme hooks are great as they have a nice wee flat bit up at the eye which makes it a breeze to judge the thorax length and positioning of hackle and wing post.

Admittedly I don't have years of experience using the flies tied on these hooks but I had a few bumper days on the Upper Deveron late last summer with them fished in the faster water. The fly sits just right with only the wing post above water and the hackle just in/on the surface.  Trout of all sizes came to them and didn't seem to care that the fly was huge.

Cheers

Gerry

Hans

Personally I prefer the TMC 2487 and 2488 for my Klinkies.The 2487 witht the downward eye for big klinks, ay down to size 16, the 2488 for smaller sizes, because the gap between the eye and the hookpoint is somewhat wider in the 2466 series.
I prefer these hooks due to the price of them. I tend to loose some flies on trees that sneak on behind me while fishing :oops2
and the Partidge hooks are lots more expensive than the TMC's...

This week I found out that bonefish and tarpon do not take klinkies... :angry;
Cheers from Eleuthera, Bahamas.... 8)
Hans

The General

Thats because they have to be on Partridge hooks Hans me old mate.

Snowing here as I type.

Davie :lol:

Andrew Moray

I bought some of the Varivas 2200BL hooks to try after Alan B posted about them on FF:
http://www.flyforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17696.
They've got a similar flat spot to the Extreme like Gerry mentions.

Not done any klinks on them so far, but have used them for DHE's.
I like the idea of the straight section as a guide to tie in the deer hair, normally I tie the wing too close to the eye, and don't have that much of a thorax to gink up  :oops:, don't do it quite so often with the 2200's.

Tony

p.s. hope you're having a good time Hans.
No pressure, but my 10 year old caught an 11lb Tarpon in a drainage canal  :wink:

The General

I caught a Tampon in the canal behind my grannies house in Knightswood but it wasnt that heavy

Davie

haresear

QuoteI caught a Tampon in the canal behind my grannies house in Knightswood but it wasnt that heavy

Post of the year :D
Protect the edge.

just_steven

Quote from: haresear on April 06, 2008, 12:05:36 AM

Post of the year :D

I agree!

Brilliant!  :lol: :lol: :lol:

The General

I decided to keep it for a wee period.  So the red bit is blood?   O

Davie