News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clan Chief

Very nice . thet look like there flying in the sky.
Are they Mosser ballon caddis with the addition of rubber legs?

Wildfisher

Quote from: col on November 11, 2008, 09:58:28 PM
One draw back i have about the balloon caddis is the the foam tends to  get shredded by trout teeth then fall to bits.

Only if you catch something.  :D

I used that very flee to good effect this year. The troots  love it. it's all in the legs............

Ian_M

Perhaps the only situation where having rubber legs is an advantage.   :lol:
Ian

haresear

You could truy another type of foam Col. I use several types and keep my eyes open for sources. One I like best is the foam those garden kneeling pads are made from. I also bought some cheap foam sandals to cannibalise.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Crawhin

I do like that one John - cracker. Got killer written all over it. Will be tying some of those this weekend for sure.

Got to say that I'm a bit worried about Col though - admitting that he'd only fly tying on his mind while getting his hands on "the wifes auld pink flip flops" - something not right there  :lol:

Cheers,

Ian

haresear

I feel a bit ashamed to show you my efforts after seeing those lovely flies.

I tied some madams up for the fly swap (at last) as well as some boobycord ants and wire nymphs.

Protect the edge.

haresear

QuoteThe Madams in paticular looks a winner.
Do you use it as a general purpose dry or for a specific circumstance?
Also, the wing material.
Is it just regular poly yarn?...............wee bri

I've not used one yet Bri, but it was intended as a visible searching fly. I wanted something easy to tie for the fly swap and the Madams was born out of light grey Mcflylon for the wing. Come to think of it the McAdams is a much better name :D

Alex

Protect the edge.

Crawhin

I'm a big fan of the old Blea and Black for early season buzzer work (jeez it must be bad when it's still November and I'm already thinking about early season hatches). However, often they're tied with too solid a wing and too stiff and full a hackle to work properly as imitations. Similarly, although the southern superglue close-copy type buzzers might be a lot closer to the real thing but just down't work for me North of the border for real troots - they just seem to lack movement and life. With that in mind I've been messing about with updating the trigger points of the B&B with a bit of modern styling on a curved hook.

[attachimg=1]

1st go - Orange floss tag, flexi-floss body wound with gap between turns to insert rib. Sterling wing buds, sels fur thorax and starling body hackle. Not bad but the flexi-floss can be a bit bulkiy on these small hooks.

[attachimg=2]

2nd go - a bit closer to the traditional. tying silk body, seals fur thorax and the same starling wing buds and soft head hackle.

Cheers,

Ian     

Clan Chief

Like those a lot Ian C. sure to winners.

Here are my latest efforts. The Doobry has a gold body just like  the original dressing but it doesn't show up too well due to over exposure.

Crawhin

Cheers chaps. The only problem with coming up with patterns in the depths of winter is the loooooong wait to throw them into the water in anger.  :x

Got to say that I'm enjoying this thread though. Good to see all the furtive/fertile?  :? imaginations at work out there, Bandy's macro flee-photography is sumptuous and the pink toe separator is a great idea but still make me giggle every time I see it.   :P

Ian

Go To Front Page