News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harpo

Clan Ford

Thanks guys,

I think they look pretty realistic.  I believe the sponge sinks very slowly so the idea is to fish them with a floating indicator fly - maybe a deer hair bread fly? 

I asked my wife to buy me the sponge when she went into Boots in Perth.  I'd explained the principle of the fly in great detail, how it imitated bread etc and she came home with two sponges and said:- "you didn't mention the colour you  wanted so I got a pink and a blue, hope that is ok" :shock:  I've not seen much pink or blue bread round our hoose but hey, the colours were pretty :roll:  Luckily the wee Boots in Crieff stocked them so I managed to get a white one and a cream coloured one, just in case them french mullets like brown bread :lol:

Norm

River Chatter

Those bread flies look great and should do the business for you.  Remember to take some actual bread with you too, to get the mullet going.  :)

Clan Chief

Tied this flee up this afternoon. Hooked but lost a fish tonight with it, then had another half dozen takes and rises to it.

haresear

Those Milanda Maulers look great Norm.

Having spent a lot of time trying to get mullet to take the real thing, I know you are going to be totally bald after your trip :)

Mullet are mental. In some areas (Christchurch harbour) you will get them taking spinners and in some areas (Channel islands) they eat fish flesh (chervy).

Mostly they are into pan bread, but you can never tell how switched on they are going to be or how perverse :?.

I plan to target them once the weather heats up :lol:

Alex
Protect the edge.

Fishtales

I read a bit years ago about targeting Mullet over sand.

Cast a weighted fly, Crazy Charlie type, let it sink to the bottom and leave it, as the Mullet pass over it give the line a quick pull. This causes the sand to puff which attracts the Mullet thinking it is a shrimp or crab trying to escape. I have never tried it so I don't know if it really works or not :)
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Clan Ford

Hopefully there will be a few bass around as well....

[attachimg=1]

Norm

River Chatter

Quote from: fishtales on May 29, 2010, 10:14:27 AM
I read a bit years ago about targeting Mullet over sand.

Cast a weighted fly, Crazy Charlie type, let it sink to the bottom and leave it, as the Mullet pass over it give the line a quick pull. This causes the sand to puff which attracts the Mullet thinking it is a shrimp or crab trying to escape. I have never tried it so I don't know if it really works or not :)

You've pretty much described the technique used to catch bones too Sandy.  Makes sense to me though, because when I was away recently I witnessed huge schools of mullet on the flats feeding just like bones and looking to untrained eye very much like them.  Until a baracuda approached when they would take to the air to avoid being eaten, which bones don't do.  A wonderful spectacle for sure and one which feels these mullet feel like a completely different species from from the semi-tame mullet found in resorts in the Med.  I'd have liked to have hooked one. Despite their predilection from sewage outlows I stilll reckon they're a respectible and attratctive target species.

Clan Ford

Quote from: col on May 29, 2010, 10:55:31 AM
verty nice , is that DNA fibres?

Aye Col,

DNA Frosty Fish Fibre for the back and White Holofusion for the belly. Very simple fly to tie. 

Norm

Clan Chief

Been tying these up recently

Go To Front Page