News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Recent posts

Flies And Tying / Re: What have you tied today?
Last post by MacTeeth - February 19, 2024, 06:32:06 PM
Quote from: Wildfisher on December 29, 2023, 01:38:51 PMWorst thing for me is at 71 my close up eyesight is fleein' awa'  :-[

I'm nae far ahent yi...still hinna got a gid tyin session in...  ;D
Trout Fishing / Re: Arthritis
Last post by Laxdale - February 16, 2024, 06:35:24 PM
I wear compression gloves (cotton) and they have helped me a lot.
That and making a point of bending my fingers a few time a day to ensure I maintain dexterity has helped. Very rarely now do I feel any pain in my hands.
Open Board / Re: Local Rivers Now Open
Last post by Laxdale - February 16, 2024, 06:31:28 PM
Balmakewan managed a bonnie fish today.
Am guessing the Northie is not having the same problems with seals (currently about 5 in river up at least as far as Inchmarlo) and FEBs as the Dee?
Last post by east wind - February 16, 2024, 05:59:52 PM
If like me, your a tea Jenny I'd look into brews with powerful antioxidants.

Apart from being delicious I think it's improved the odd twinge that's creeping in.
Good quality green tea, ceylon cinnamon tea, methi tea. Also a zesty brew out there using honey, tumeric, ginger, lemon and black pepper.
All with anti inflammatory properties.

Bamboo compression gloves seem to work for some.

https://www.pandasoothe.co.uk/products/bamboo-compression-gloves
Open Board / Local Rivers Now Open
Last post by Wildfisher - February 16, 2024, 12:22:46 PM
For sea trout and salmon.

16th Feb. was always a big day for us as kids. Doon tae the mooth o' The Lunan with the spinner or worm.

Got the odd finnock amongst the shed load of flounders!

The weather was always mild, just like today in fact. Climate change my arse - more like susceptibility to Marxist propaganda and woefully  short memories!  ;D 
Last post by Bobfly - February 15, 2024, 08:12:18 PM
Exercises to strengthen muscles around the knees are valuable. Keeping weight in check also very valuable as ground impact for every extra Kg puts many times more impact on knees and hips.
UK docs are not keen on glucosamine due to the lack of clear evidence of proven benefit. German docs seem to favour it over NSAIDs and anti inflammatory drugs are not too effective as it is wear and tear not an inflammatory disease like rheumatoid arthritis

Keeping moving helps for sure !!
Last post by Fishtales - February 15, 2024, 02:50:06 PM
I would also recommend trying to keep the joints moving as much as you can. My wife has it in every joint in her body according to the doctor. She can't sit for long or the joints start to seize up and when she does the pain can be horrendous, but if she keeps on the move the pain doesn't seem as bad, her words not mine :) When she gets out of bed in the morning her toes, ankles, knees and hips are so bad she has to stand for a bit before moving and then has to shuffle across the floor. Once she is up she can get around fine. She does a twenty minute Zoom workout that I videoed of her during lockdown when a training friend of hers was doing them online, alternating that alternate days with ten to twenty minutes on the Treadmill that we have, depending on how sore she is. I try to walk 2 to 5 miles some days or failing that do 30 minutes to an hour on the treadmill, today I did 4 miles in the pouring rain but it is mostly on the flat :)

It is hard to tell someone what to do and I would just recommend doing as much as you can to keep the muscles strong enough to support the worn joints.
Last post by Wildfisher - February 15, 2024, 11:20:58 AM
Quote from: Fishtales on February 14, 2024, 09:44:58 PMI also take Glucosamine
Me too and I also recommended them to a mate of mine who found them helpful. Even my auld dug benefitted from one a day.
Last post by Fishtales - February 14, 2024, 09:44:58 PM
I just remembered I also take Glucosamine and Multivitamin tablets (out of stock at the moment so ordered these ones instead Over 60's Multivitamin Formula ) and a Cod Liver Oil capsule every day. Do they work? Well I am not about to stop and see after all these years :)
Last post by Scozzie - February 14, 2024, 02:38:11 PM
Yeah agree long term use of pills not so good for you ok short term I to use a 5 wt for tubing and recently bought 2 9ft 6 wt rods not so good in wind so just bought the 2 new 10 ft 7wt Toray carbon rods maybe not used them enough yet for comparison hopefully thumbs might not be as bad in less colder weather always dreaded something that would hinder my fishing getting so close to retirement age but hey ho just keep plodding on
Go To Front Page