News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Recent posts

Trout Fishing / Re: Arthritis
Last post by Scozzie - February 14, 2024, 02:38:11 PM
Yeah agree long term use of pills not so good for you ok short term I to use a 5 wt for tubing and recently bought 2 9ft 6 wt rods not so good in wind so just bought the 2 new 10 ft 7wt Toray carbon rods maybe not used them enough yet for comparison hopefully thumbs might not be as bad in less colder weather always dreaded something that would hinder my fishing getting so close to retirement age but hey ho just keep plodding on
Last post by Bobfly - February 13, 2024, 04:41:56 PM
I have had both hips replaced due to arthritic wear and tear. Right hand also affected quite a lot, mostly around the base of the thumb and compounded by Viking claw benign tumours on hand tendons. ( Also much abuse from many years spent rock and ice climbing !)
Wearing fingerless neoprene gloves helps a lot in colder conditions and not having too narrow rod handles or handling thin running lines on WF lines. I stick most of the time with DT profile lines. On reels I have widened out the winding handles with 1.5cm sections of rubber tube .
My daughter is a pharmacist and she is not keen on the use of NSAID medication because of digestive tract irritation. Before my hips were done I was on the highest dosage with slow release Voltarol for over 15 years. First hip done 21 years ago, second 11 years ago. Both now excellent.
I haven't used a seven weight for years. Usually a five weight for browns and sometimes a six on a loch with bows. Four weight on rivers or from the float-tube.
Last post by Fishtales - February 12, 2024, 10:14:14 PM
Ibuprofen 400. I have been on them for thirty years and it helps with my Arthritis. Fingers, wrists, elbows, neck, knees, hip and joints of the big toes. I fish a 10 ft #7 all the time. I just keep going through the pain though your pain may be worse than mine.
Trout Fishing / Arthritis
Last post by Scozzie - February 12, 2024, 09:38:02 PM
Hey guys any other old codgers like myself suffer from arthritis have developed it recently in casting hand especially in right thumb region starting to struggle a bit with it have tried dropping down to 6 weight 9 ft rods but not much better have just bought a couple of Maxcatch 10ft 7 wt touray carbon rods only 3 ounces but even then can't fish for too long somebody suggested wrapping handle with tennis racket stuff think if handle is bit thicker not so sore on hand anybody else afflicted any other advice
Open Board / Re: Master Chef
Last post by Inchlaggan - February 10, 2024, 11:28:40 PM
SWMBO is a big fan of Jam Shed, I am stuck with McGuigan's Zero Shiraz these days.
Open Board / Re: Whisky Reviews
Last post by superscot - February 10, 2024, 08:56:44 PM
Not sure just how many of the forum enjoy the odd dram or three. I only have a few on a sat night along with a few can of Guinness hated the stuff for most of my life but for whatever happened I do like a couple of cans well they do say stout is good for you!
Anyway, back to what I meant to say.
For those who like a nightly nip here is one for you found completely by chance and called Ledaig Sinclair Series Rioja Cask Finish
And it is what it says on the bottle and for me one of the best drinking dram for just over £31 quid a bottle [hunt about for it ] Amazon was the best buy for a while and well worth it.   
Last post by superscot - February 10, 2024, 08:48:14 PM
Had this wee gem given to me as a fav. It's up there on the Richter scale at 60+% proof and once you add a wee touch of water is very pleasant would I pay £60 odd quid a bottle answer is no but will slowly work my way through it. As like most things that are free taste a lot better. 
Open Board / Re: Master Chef
Last post by superscot - February 10, 2024, 08:32:54 PM
Fred have you tried Jam Shed about £6.50 a bottle from TESCO nice fruity red well worth a wee try ......even goes nice in a lovely venison stew
Open Board / How to catch trout
Last post by Wildfisher - February 09, 2024, 07:57:28 PM
The Dundee method  ;D

Last post by Noddy - February 08, 2024, 11:58:49 PM
I bought the Yardhead a few years ago when it was on offer.  Would not buy it again it was dreadful. Pleasantly surprised by Tamnavulin matured in a white wine cask.  I'm also supping a Glen Scotia 15yr old its nice as well.

Jim
Go To Front Page