News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

96 Cichlids

Started by Wildfisher, August 15, 2023, 05:12:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Interesting no-frills slide show of these interesting fish.

PS the "music" sucks.  :)

burnie

I kept a few back in the day, the Malawis all killed each other and I was left with an Auratus, did better with South/Central Americans, even managed to get some Nicaraguans to breed. There was an ex miner in Coalville in Leicestershire who imported most of the stock into the UK back in the 1980's, some of those wild fish were the most spectacular I ever saw.

Wildfisher

Yes, auratus can be evil. I bred them a few times and they were  good parents. Used to sell the young, which grew quite quickly, to a tropical fish shop in The Hilltown in Dundee. None of the Aberdeen shops were brave / daft enough to take them. Trouble is they are spectacular and interesting and I  often wondered how many community tanks were laid to waste with these fish.  :D 

burnie

I was told to put eight fish in a 3 foot tank to spread the aggression, in less than a month I had the one left, so I divided the tank with a piece of perspex with holes drilled in it, Auratus in one side and a Jack Dempsey(a well named fish for sure)in the other half, they just attacked the divider all day, they lasted for years like that. My favourite cichlid I had was a Managuense, bought as a three inch baby, it was well over a foot long when I sold it to a dealer, in the end it would only eat live food, wouldn't touch worms, so ended up breeding guppys, which was kinda unfair, so I got rid, it was a stunning looking fish that seemed to have a character.

Wildfisher

Fish behaviour is fascinating. Cichlids in particular have highly evolved parenting strategies. I read once that trout and salmon are quite primitive compared to most coarse fish and watching fish like carp that is not difficult to believe. 

Jon

Quote from: burnie on August 15, 2023, 11:39:30 PMI was told to put eight fish in a 3 foot tank to spread the aggression, in less than a month I had the one left, so I divided the tank with a piece of perspex with holes drilled in it, Auratus in one side and a Jack Dempsey(a well named fish for sure)in the other half, they just attacked the divider all day, they lasted for years like that. My favourite cichlid I had was a Managuense, bought as a three inch baby, it was well over a foot long when I sold it to a dealer, in the end it would only eat live food, wouldn't touch worms, so ended up breeding guppys, which was kinda unfair, so I got rid, it was a stunning looking fish that seemed to have a character.

I think that's your problem. A 3' tank is nowhere near big enough for a community of mbuna. Thankfully advice has improved considerably over the years.

they are beautiful though. I remember seeing my first ever tank full of Malawis as a kid. I thought they were marine fish for a minute.

The jaguar cichlid you mention too are stunning. I've seen wild fish up to 18" long. I'd love a pair, but you'd need to flood a small room to keep them properly.

Fishtales

I have had Blue Acara and Kribensis breed for me but never in numbers. I line bred the Kribensis for a while and ended up with the best looking male I have ever seen :) I also had a pair of Egyptian Mouthbrooder which used to dig deep pits all over the tank. I always have planted tanks which wasn't the handiest thing at the time with plants being dug up :) I had a Geophagus too at one time, they aren't called earth eaters for nothing, he ended up on his own in an unplanted tank :)
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Go To Front Page