News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Be Careful With Your Plecos

Started by Wildfisher, August 17, 2023, 09:29:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

SoldierPmr

I go for bristle nose as they don't get beyond 6 inches and they actually eat agle as a adult unlike the common pleco.

Bobfly

At one point I think they said an estimated 12,000 tons now spread across the lake and nearby. Lost cause if a bag of doggy treats or some fish suppers is seen as the saviour !!!
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Wildfisher

Quote from: SoldierPmr on August 17, 2023, 05:30:12 PMI go for bristle nose as they don't get beyond 6 inches and they actually eat agle as a adult unlike the common pleco.

What do the shops sell these for now? Mate of mine had a common pleco which grew to about 12 inches long, not much god for the average home community tank.  ;D

burnie

They used to sell baby Red Tail cats for home tanks, they can grow to a metre and weigh over a hundred pounds!!

SoldierPmr

They still sell far too many fish that can not be kept in the average home aquarium. I think for small bristle noses are around £8 more adult ones are towards £30. Variations and mutations can go for a lot of money though.

ianmck

Good thing about bristlenose is you can feed them leftover vegetables as well.
They are difficult to keep with other bottom dwelling fish though as they are quite timid. I had them with african synodonitis catfish and no matter how much algae wafers I would put in, the synos would gobble everything up.

Jon

People but them thinking they'll eat crap and keep their aquarium clean. The reality is they'll massively increase the bioload of the tank.

People also think they'll eat algae. This might be true at a very young age but as they grow they'll change to a more protein based diet.

I've seen someone on youtube catch a common plec on a metal lure on youtube which I thought was interesting too!

Jon

Quote from: burnie on August 17, 2023, 10:03:29 PMThey used to sell baby Red Tail cats for home tanks, they can grow to a metre and weigh over a hundred pounds!!

You can still buy them easily enough. They're farmed in Thailand and trade prices excluding freight are around £3 a pop. You can also buy tiger shovel nosed cats (Pseudoplatystoma fasciatum) easily enough which are just as unsuitable.

In South America the two species were crossed by fish farms to produce food fish. Due to hybrid vigour the offspring grow faster than their parent species so are ideal for this Unfortunately they found their way into the aquarium hobby and are even more unsuitable for tanks. It's a similar stoey with a couple of Pangasius species farmed in Asia for food. The babies you see for sale in tropical fish shops are a by product of this industry.

Fishtales

Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Go To Front Page