News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Orvis Banchory

Started by Wildfisher, August 10, 2012, 12:43:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

About 18 months or so ago I bought a pair of Orvis Riverguard wading boots from Orvis's web site. These boots were not cheap, they cost around £150 in fact.

Trouble was I was sick to the back teeth of being let down by crap boots, usually falling to bits in  a few months. Orvis has a  reputation for good customer service and no quibble guarantees, so I thought, sod it, let's buy quality.

Well, nothing lasts forever and yesterday the sole of one boot started to come off and the other was not far behind.

18 months may not seem like a long time, but I was not too troubled. I had 2 trips to NZ out of them and in between that  1 ½ seasons at home in the tough terrain I tend to find myself in.  That's a hell of a lot of wear as anyone who has trodden the rough banks of NZ's rivers, or who knows the places I go fishing,  will tell you.

I phoned Orvis Banchory yesterday to check if they had stock, intending to buy another pair.  They did. Ben Dixon, the fly fishing manager, suggested I bring the old boots in for him to have a look at. I went down a few hours ago taking the old boots with me.

Without hesitation Ben gave me a brand new pair free of charge. He reckons soles should not come off wading boots. Now, given the wear I have had from those boots I did not ask for this or expect it, this was Ben's initiative.

I guess that's the difference between a real tackle shop run by people who understand fishing and the rest who don't.

OK, Orvis gear is not cheap and this level of service has to be paid for somehow, it's part of the price you pay.  But I'll tell you what, next time I'm after gear I'll be buying Orvis again.  We are sometimes quick to complain about poor quality and / or poor service, perhaps we should acknowledge excellent service when we experience it.  Thank you  Orvis and Ben for excellent customer care and service.

keithfish

really glad to hear about the service from orvis as coincidentally last night i ordered a new pair of wading boots from them !

burnie

I too like the shop in Banchory,waiting for a pair of trousers to be delivered, like you say Fred , good quality.

Robbie

As you say it is very hard to see past a company with such excellent customer service.

Clan Ford

Orvis really are the Dogs Bollocks when it comes to customer service.  I know I've mentioned it on here before but I strugle to get over how good they were when my kids snapped the tip (sword fighting with) of a 17 year old rod that I bought while in Texas of which I had no proof of purchase and they had long since discontinued.  One quick, chancing my luck, email and a week later I had a brand new top of the range rod - fantastic.  Ben Dixon is not a bad lad, had a few dealings with him when he worked in Edinburgh....

Norm

Wildfisher

Quote from: Clan Ford on August 10, 2012, 04:40:24 PM
of which I had no proof of purchase

I was not asked for that either, although I do have it.  Ben just reckoned soles  of wading  boots should not fall off. I have to say after years of grief and money wasted on "cheaper"  boots I have to agree. This has been the problem with every other pair I have had. Odd really as soles do not fall off the  hiking / climbing boots I buy which get far more punishment. When and if these boots come to an end I'll buy a new pair.  Even after 30 +  years of living in the shire  of the time-locked wallet I'm not that brass necked to expect a second free replacement.  :lol:

Bobfly

My wife and I can testify to a pair of thirteen year old very lightweight Orvis chest waders where the feet have had attention from Diver Dave but the legs are still in quite remarkable nick. They have plenty of Stormsure spots here and there over bramble holes but I was wearing them just two days ago. They are much thinner and lighter than any waders I have seen since and they were the very cheapest in their range at the time (and their reels are great too).
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

tomcatin

Matches my experience of Orvis service and attention to detail
Sadly my 7' 5 weight that killed fascists is deceased!

So in respect and in memorium, PLEASE DONATE TO AND SUPPORT THE WILD FISHING FORUM

Go To Front Page