News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Weird tailing loop

Started by davefromtheattic, November 16, 2010, 11:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haresear

QuoteThe Loop does feels very vague and spongy in my hand, it is very light though, as if there is no backbone about it. I'll try the Angel 2 tonight for contrast.

If your Loop is pretty through-actioned, meaning it bends readily down the extent of the blank, it will need a longer casting stroke to get the tip to travel in a straight horizontal line than would a very tip actioned rod with a stiff mid section and butt. That's what I was getting at in my first post, (in which I called you Daz :oops:).

Does that make sense Dave?

Alex
Protect the edge.

bushy palmer

Dave and I swapped rods for a few minutes the last time we were both out- I could hardly get used to it at all. I'm not convinced the line is right for that rod- it feels far to light to me.
It is an absolute pleasure to cast when you already have a long line out however, when you lift to cast with anything short of 30foot still in the water, there's no feel at all.

IMO the line simply runs out of puff :)

davefromtheattic

No worries Alex, aye makes sense. I was trying to stay away from hauling till I get the basic cast sorted but do you think a small haul would work maintaining the same arc? I'm starting to think that I should just use the Hardy to practise and forget about the Loop for the time being.

Brian, that was the Loop Opti Stillwater line you were using that day, the Snowbee is much more delicate and twitchy IMO.

bushy palmer

I still reckon you're needing to step the line weight up a bit.

If you recall, I was experiencing a similar problem this year when I was casting the line further than the flies when I changed to that stupid neutral density 5wt piece of crap snowbee thing!!
Changed to a 6wt and it's back to being straight as a needle. :)

davefromtheattic

That's probably a good shout.

haresear

QuoteNo worries Alex, aye makes sense. I was trying to stay away from hauling till I get the basic cast sorted but do you think a small haul would work maintaining the same arc?

I think you are right to get the basic cast sorted first Dave.

Having said that, for my money hauling does introduce a greater degree of control and done correctly it can smooth out the rough spots.
Putting a haul in late in the cast at the point of the power snap to use a Joan Wulffism, should ensure that maximum acceleration happens when it should happen - immediately before you stop the rod.

This could well solve your problem (with the caveat that we are talking theoretically here and without the benefit of actually seeing you cast).

To illustrate how hauling can iron out the creases:
I was tying to help a guy a few weeks ago. His basic pick up and lay down cast wasn't great at all. The funny thing is, his double hauling was actually pretty good and when he was hauling his overhead casts worked fine.

Dave, it might be worth your while getting in touch with Brian McGlashan. I think he is still running the Fife casting club.

Alex

Protect the edge.

davefromtheattic

I wasn't aware there was a Fife casting club Alex, is he on the forum?

Wildfisher

There are 3 worthwhile casting clubs in Scotland that I know of. The Weegies, The Fifers  and the Turra lot.

They fulfil the essential definition of "club"  in that they meet regularly.  There may be others but I have not heard of them.

haresear

Quote from: davefromtheattic on November 17, 2010, 07:06:54 PM
I wasn't aware there was a Fife casting club Alex, is he on the forum?

Brian McGlashan is listed as a member of the forum Dave, but has not been active lately. He is Brian Mcg on here.

You could give him a call if a PM doesn't work. His phone number is listed at the bottom of this page...

http://www.fishleven.co.uk/front/contact

Alex
Protect the edge.

davefromtheattic

Go To Front Page