News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Pet Hates

Started by Andrew Moray, November 28, 2010, 07:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Moray

Hello,

Hoping to try and sort out an aspect of my casting over the close season - single handed spey casts.
I've been seeking the consul of more learned practitioners, and been offered a Joan Wulff pet annoyer.

Specific question: wondering if anyone has tried both pet annoyers, Wullf and the Echo, and if you had a particular preference ?.

More general question: are either any use for practising roll/jump roll casts etc ?.

Many thanks, and let the abuse commence  :makefun

Thanks,
Tony

haresear

I bought both the Echo MPR and the Fly O.

The Fyl O is in my opinion a piece of pish and the Echo MPR is far superior, as it actually bends and behaves like a real fly rod. I really like it for roll casting on a carpet.

Fred has my MPR just now, so I'll be interested to hear what he thinks of it.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Quote from: haresear on November 28, 2010, 07:45:03 PM
Fred has my MPR just now, so I'll be interested to hear what he thinks of it.

great for practising roll casts.

haresear

I've just uploaded a video of the jump roll on the forum's movie theatre.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

http://www.wildfisher.co.uk/theatre/index.php?watchvid=1&vidid=76

Is that a certain bloke's creek we make a point of fishing every February?

I'll obviously never be a serous angler Alex, I just call all these casts roll casts varied according to the conditions.  :lol:

haresear

Aye Fred, Hagman's creek :) You should know, as you filmed it.

All these spey casts, snap casts, circle and snake rolls are just ways of repositioning the anchor and D loop and they all end in a bog standard roll cast, so in that respect they are all just roll casts. The jump roll is just a more dynamic version of the static roll cast which gives a bigger D loop and doesn't allow a big change in direction.

It is worth perfecting the basic static  roll cast before moving on to the fancier repositioning casts. A learn to walk before you try to run situation.

Alex

Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Quote from: haresear on November 28, 2010, 09:47:51 PM
Aye Fred, Hagman's creek :) You should know, as you filmed it.

Thought I recognised it.   :8)

Quote from: haresear on November 28, 2010, 09:47:51 PM
All these spey casts, snap casts, circle and snake rolls are just ways of repositioning the anchor and D loop and they all end in a bog standard roll cast,

I know Alex, I was considering signing up for an account on FF so I thought I'd best practice being a facetious arsehole first.   :lol:

Wildfisher

haresear

Quote from: Ardbeg on November 29, 2010, 12:36:07 AM
It seems to be going well  :makefun

Ardbeg

:lol: :lol:

Alex
Protect the edge.

Malcolm

I think that wee Echo rod would be a great tool on the overgrown burns but even better for rhythmic gymnastics routines.

Andrew,

If you can get down to the Glasgow Casting Club that would be worthwhile. It's a really easy cast once you get the basics.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Go To Front Page