News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

High Visability Line

Started by davefromtheattic, December 29, 2010, 08:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davefromtheattic

Hi All,

just wondered if anyone had any suggestions for a colour that would work well when I'm trying to eek out the last of the daylight when practising casting. I was thinking red, but can't really find any. There is the Snowbee XS Hi Vis Orange, but I was looking for something cheaper than 40 odd quid.

Cheers,

Dave.

gasman

Hi Dave
What weigth of line are you looking for?

Gary  :)

davefromtheattic

haresear

Dave, Pitsford Pirate does them. I don't really like them, but it is an option.

I got a cheapo #6 Mucilin line from ebay which I've not cast yet and it is really hi-vis too. I don't know if they do a #4. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MUCILIN-FLY-LINE--IN-TAN-OR-HI-VIS-YELLOW-%2fORANGE-30MTR_W0QQitemZ110537435033QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=191403927655&rvr_id=191403927655&cguid=4fe76ea612b0a0a9f584a744ff47ee61

Alex
Protect the edge.

gasman

Dave
You could have a look at Lathkill.
Shakespear  Worcesters WF4 floating Hi Vis YELLOW ?24+p&p.

All the best,
Gary  :)

davefromtheattic

Thanks, Alex, I saw that on ebay. The Airflo 40+ line has a red head on it but white running line, which would be fine. For some reason I've got it in my head that red would be best, I think it's the "casts that catch fish" trailers.

Gary, I'll have a look at that, thanks.

dazdidge

Theres one for you to add to your selection of lines Fred, a luminescent flyline. Could make for some interesting long exposure night shots :worried

OMG, just found this
http://www.michiganstreamside.com/sales_rio_lumalux.htm

haresear

QuoteFor some reason I've got it in my head that red would be best,

I agree. I find red or orange shows up best in most conditions, followed by yellow.
White and to a lesser extent yellow, can get lost against a light cloudy sky. Red shows up well silhouetted and is also great with the sun shining on it, especially against trees.

Re the Casts That Catch Fish DVD...I asked Carl McNeill about his leaders  and he used Airflo hi-vis polyleaders in his video. I got a couple of the orange ones from Fishtec and they are pretty good for demonstration purposes. If anyone is interested (maybe for filming?), he simply wrapped white plumbers thread tape around the rod to make it stand out in some of the sequences.

Alex
Protect the edge.

davefromtheattic

Aye, the polyleader is a good shout. I'll go have a look, cheers  :)

scotty9

Quote from: daz on December 29, 2010, 10:17:45 PM
Theres one for you to add to your selection of lines Fred, a luminescent flyline. Could make for some interesting long exposure night shots :worried

OMG, just found this
http://www.michiganstreamside.com/sales_rio_lumalux.htm

Those are famous on sexyloops!

Seeing as you can actually get them, I'm probably going to have to buy one now!  :lol:

Go To Front Page