News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Damn Fladen!!!!!!!

Started by davefromtheattic, February 13, 2011, 03:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davefromtheattic

I've not had the chance to get out to practise in the last week or so, so I grabbed a few hours yesterday and this morning.

Yesterday I had out the Hardy Angel 2 9' #4, Loop AEG 9' #5, Echo Distance Competition 9' #5 and the 9' #5 I built on a Mudhole MHX blank. My casting was mince.

This morning took out the Daiwa Alltmore 9'6'' #6 and the Echo and cast them both with a #7 line, casting was better but still way below par. These rods are heavier in the hand and fatigue set in early. I scooted back to the house and picked up my Fladen Vantage 8' #4 and strung it with a #5 line and was casting brilliantly, it was so effortless, smooth and the fly turning over perfectly.

I'm now in in a state of disbelief that I'm going to start the season off casting with a 16 quid rod after investing hundreds  :?

I don't really know why I'm posting this, maybe just sharing this experience will help others to avoid making the same mistake.

Anyone fancy a new rod????

alancrob

QuoteAnyone fancy a new rod????

I'll give you a fiver for the used Fladden!

I have decided that other than getting my waders checked I am buying nothing this year. I will start sorting out the existing gear soon. I might even try a few casts but my casting is always mince. My aim is just to get some days fishing which were sadly lacking last year.

A.

davefromtheattic

That was meant to be the plan this year. I'll just sell the lot and get a Sage.

Inchlaggan

My "best" rod is a ?20 Shakespeare, the next three on the list (fly, spin, and sea boat) are all Fladen.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

davefromtheattic

I wish we'd spoken earlier!  :lol:

Malcolm

I thought we all told you how good taht Fladen is when you visited the casting club Dave?

When you get a rod where Alan, Alex, Scotty and me agree then it gas to be a wee bit special!
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Wildfisher

Ah, but does the Fladen have an optional butt section that can be stored in the handle?   :lol:

davefromtheattic

:lol: Or a second handle to replace the original once it's fallen to bits after a couple of hours!

scotty9

Quote from: davefromtheattic on February 13, 2011, 03:04:18 PM
after investing hundreds  :?

I think you may have passed the limit of 'hundreds'?  :lol:

davefromtheattic

:lol: Stitting at just over 600, Scotty. The one piece of advice I definitely listened to was not to buy full price, I am a Fifer after all  :lol:

Go To Front Page