News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Rods

Started by Brian Mcg, March 11, 2011, 09:25:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Mcg

I have been trying a few rods lately and some I would use only for Casting and some for Fishing. Am I alone in this or should I get a life?

Regards

Brian

BillBones

Whats the difference? I would have thought a good casting rod was a good fishing rod

davefromtheattic

I was thinking of posting this as I don't understand why you wouldn't want to use a rod that casts well to fish with. I'd be interested to hear the opinions on this.

Malcolm

I've been having a go at distance casting lately using very fast rods which have been loaned to me (Thanks Alberto amongst others). One of them casts very long distances once you get the tempo correct; the Sage TCR 5 weight. However I wouldn't fish with it. It's just too inflexible in a fishing sense. The worst aspect is that spey casts have to be very precisely formed in a way that is just not possible on a normal Scottish wooded river.  
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Brian Mcg

Ok would you call a 5# tcr a Fishing rod? I have a xp 5# and have only fished for Salmon with it. I am only asking for opinions and they will for sure be different from mine. Remember all rods are fishing rods in different peoples hands this is only me we are speaking about.

Brian

Brian Mcg

Malcolm I formed the same opinion about the tcr after only five minutes Casting with one. The same can be said about the Angel te 5# but I have fished with it.......once. I have watched people casting obscene distances with the Angel. Does it come down to Feel?

Brian

Wildfisher

Funny things fly rods. Like most fly fishers I have a shed full of them and the rod I choose  depends as much on how long it is since I last used it as anything else.   :lol: I even use my TCX #5 for fishing occasionally although it is never a relaxing experience. I really should sell it I suppose, but getting shot of any rod is a bit like cutting off an arm for me.  :D

Brian Mcg

I once owned a 5#tcx It was a beautiful rod with the best cork. I snapped on a few fish on the Clyde and sold it .Lost a few ? I can tell you :(
I really love Casting but love fishing more that is why I separate casting/fishing, Imo they are different Sports.

Brian

Wildfisher

Quote from: Brian Mcg on March 11, 2011, 10:59:13 PM
I really love Casting but love fishing more that is why I separate casting/fishing, Imo they are different Sports.

I could not agree more. They are related of course, but hard core casting, especially distance, has little to do with fishing.

Incidentally I have broken off  / lost  more fish with that TCX than the rest of my rods put together. It's great for chucking heavy streamers, but hard work  for anything else. I'm sure a better caster than I  would get on better with it, it's wasted on me frankly. I should have bought a #4.  My nicest rod is a 9 foot #4 Sage ZXL - it is an absolute peach of a rod and a delight to fish with. Too light to take to NZ though, so I used the Scott #5

haresear

Quote from: Brian Mcg on March 11, 2011, 10:59:13 PM
I once owned a 5#tcx It was a beautiful rod with the best cork. I snapped on a few fish on the Clyde and sold it .Lost a few ? I can tell you :(

Brian

A good thread Brian.

That Orvis Helios I bought from you falls into that camp I think. Casting, rather than fishing I mean.

I don't like tippy rods for the very same reason as you sold your tcx. I like a rod to bend progressively and quite far into the butt. That way I know how much welly I can give the fish, especially when using light gear.

I have still never fished with the Helios (will probably sell it on) and likewise I have a Guideline tippy rod which I used just once after hooking (and landing) three very nice Clyde trout on it. The rod just locked up and couldn't judge how much stick to give the fish. It cast really tight loops but I didn't like playing fish on it.

I llike a mid to tip action or even a through action for fishing. The mid to tip is the best compromise for my style of fishing.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page