News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Distance

Started by Brian Mcg, April 01, 2011, 09:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Mcg

Can you cast 85ft?

Brian

davefromtheattic

Brian Mcg

Quote from: davefromtheattic on April 01, 2011, 09:31:35 PM
Nut.

Dave.

Liar :D
Reason I ask is I had a guy out today for a lesson and he assured me before it that he could cast a full line.
Why do you need a lesson? asks I . I can't get presentation at distance was the answer.
I pulled all of his line of and put it against a tape measure(yes I carry one about). His line was an old Diawa don't know the model but it only  measured 60ft. He assured me he hadn't cut any off.
Point I am trying to make is some people think they cast further than they do. :worms

Brian

Brian Mcg

Quote from: Exerod on April 01, 2011, 09:42:29 PM
Yes.
What do I win?

Andy

Sorry I never made the first post clear It was with a 4# :D

Brian

davefromtheattic

Good idea, I'm just going to cut some line off.  :lol:

Brian Mcg

Any way Dave how have you got time to sit on a computer? Nappies/bottles etc etc. :lol:

Brian

davefromtheattic

Everyone in the house is sleeping, including me till about 20 mins ago. I'm a domestic wizard at the moment. I'm currently waiting on Scarlet waking so I can bath her and pop down the road to see my pal for a well deserved brandy. Can't wait to get out with the rod, casting or fishing, it's blowing a hooley the now though!

Brian Mcg

Quote from: Exerod on April 01, 2011, 09:54:56 PM
Ah! How hard is the wind blowing and is it from behind :lol:

Andy

Andy that is a good point :). Most would try and get the wind behind them but then it is easy. I try and get people to cast across the wind with a slight angle. Try it. Best time to try it is when there is no wind.

Brian

haresear

A lot of people will be saying to themselves "But I don't ever need to cast 85'" on the muckle burn.

That may well be so, but if you can cast a long way, then you are capable of casting a shorter line effectively into the wind, which is a very useful thing to be able to do. Even on the muckle burn :)

Alex
Protect the edge.

Malcolm

Wind behind easy? Not with a big wind it isn't! I'd rather roll cast with a big wind behind. A light tail or cross-tail wind is better for getting a back cast. I avoid casting into a big wind if at all possible - especially with a 4 weight. Let's be honest I can't cast into a force 6 with a 4 weight. The fly would end up round my neck. 
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Go To Front Page