News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Distance

Started by Brian Mcg, April 01, 2011, 09:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Mcg

Malcolm roll cast,overhead cast I just said a cast.
The point I was trying to make as I have come across this often is do you really cast as far as you think?
Now a long cast can be 8yds on a 12yd wide stream but it wasn't what I was trying to get at. I ain't a distance caster(maybe give it a go) but the guy I had out was incredulous when I let him see how far he was casting.

Brian

Highlander

Aerialise 30yds of  fly line with standard Trout tackle....most unlikely for most. Can't say I have ever seen it done in all those years. Being able to cast "far" on occasion is good to have in your armory but so is casting 10yds correctly. If you feel that you have to be able to do those distances I would have thought a boat might be the best bet.
:roll:
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

I was fishing away last year when a chap appeared and started casting to the horizon, I have never seen anybody cast like this before or since. No way was I trying that and just kept plugging away at a nice distance I was comfortable with. In the time I could see him I had a few out while he had one or two. Totally agree with those who say it's better to cast a fly well than go for distance. Most of the time the fish are close in anyway. Now if you can do the two together you are a very lucky man and can you post six numbers between one and fortynine please.

Wildfisher

I can't differentiate  between this thread and the last casting thread, so I'll just repeat, more or less,   what I said there.  Casting is driven by the what the individual  sees to be  their own needs /  perceived gains vs effort required.

Brian Mcg

I agree with you Fred.
This thread was really about how some see themselves as casters. Not the why's,needs,or reason's for the Cast.
I should be fishing :?

Brian

Wildfisher

The thread is fine Brian. I'd love to be better at casting, but the overall cost of becoming better is not balanced by the potential gains. I don't mean financial cost. Short of Magnus, who lives just too far away to make it practical on a regular basis,  there is no one, who I know,  involved in fly casting  in this area I would wish to spend any time at all with.  There may be others I have yet to meet though.  :lol:   If a casting club is not frequent and regular I can see little value in it.

If I lived in Fife or Glasgow I'd be at either  of these fine clubs in a minute!

Malcolm

Fred,

I believe there's a casting meet in Aberdeen on the weekend of 14th May.

Slightly away from the thread - long casting uses techniques more akin to javelin throwing that normal casting and I believe those techniques have little relevance for most of us most of the time. The line travels too low to the ground and you'd end up snagging in the heather. If we were unlucky enough to have to fish in places like Farmoor or Grafham from the bank then that's a different matter.

"Normal" long casting though does have it's uses. Sometimes the fish are far out - we all know that. The guy who can cast 90 ft will be able to cover more fish than the guy who can cast 50 ft. Sometimes the trick isn't delicacy - it's actually getting the fly to the fish by whatever means possible. You can often get away with a less than perfect presentation in Scottish breezy conditions on a loch. However you can present a perfect fly at 50 ft and if the fish aren't there you aren't going to catch them. Simple. Remember the ability to cast a long way doesn't of itself stop anyone from presenting a fly close to the bank, doesn't decrease watercraft and it doesn't make you a splashy caster at shorter range.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Wildfisher

I think that may be the annual sexyloops meeting Malcolm. Does not really appeal to be honest. In any case, as you know, there's a big forum outing that weekend (no details here please!) . No contest!   :lol:

Brian Mcg

You also have the Deveron Festival up there the same week Fred. The North has got it all.
I am in Ireland that week fishing the Rivers and Loughs of County Mayo. There is a wee river called the Qweestion, only 10 yds wide but some lovely wee trout and you know what in 12 years of going there I have never seen another angler fishing it. To be honest most people fish the Moy or Loughs Conn and Cullin,suits me :D

Brian

scotty9

Quote from: Highlander on April 02, 2011, 02:44:04 PM
If you feel that you have to be able to do those distances I would have thought a boat might be the best bet.
:roll:
Tight Lines

I can't see how a boat would help me on grass?  :?

On a more serious note - with the original question, the only way you can know how far you are casting is with a tape or equivalent. Whether or not you want to is another matter. The ;point about line lengths, I remember one of Alan's snowbees measured 80' and on the same length subject, what about those of us (just about everyone!) who can cast 85' with less than 30' of flyline..... ok i'm just being difficult now  :lol:

I went out for distance practice last week for the first time since moving here pretty much, made a monumental breakthrough in tracking, finally worked out how I can use the rod over as much effective stroke as my arm allows and make the bloody thing go in a straight line  :lol: Took me long enough!  :shock:

Go To Front Page