News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Fishing

Started by Brian Mcg, April 15, 2011, 11:00:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clan Ford

I've been out with Brian on Dunalastair - he's not worth the money :lol:

Norm

Wildfisher

Quote from: Clan Ford on April 16, 2011, 09:45:40 AM
I've been out with Brian on Dunalastair - he's not worth the money :lol:

Fair's fair Norm, it's Dunalastair that's not worth the money. Brian catches massive trout everywhere else.  :lol:

Wildfisher

Quote from: guest on April 16, 2011, 10:33:19 AM
I was going to offer you guys free guiding on the Argyllshire hills - but as I suddenly turn into a complete fuckwit as soon as I'm over 1000 ft I'll have withdraw my offer on Health and Safety grounds :lol:

Very wise too if I may say so. 'elf 'n' sayftee iz important guv.  :lol:

Actually you would be on less of  a sticky wicket as long as you didn't  charge for it. Of course you could still take cash in unmarked bills, but don't issue any receipts. Not something I would do myself of course, but I have heard it works.  :lol:

Inchlaggan

I'd bring it back down to the economics. The minimum wage is around ?6 an hour, so you are going to pay about ?50 a day MINIMUM. Add for expertise, equipment, permission to fish, insurance, advertising, and all the rest. Add the facts that the season is limited, not every day will be booked, maximum working week, and all the rest, break-even for a take home minimum wage over the year is in excess of ?200 per day. So a full-time, dedicated, expert guide will cost in excess of ?200 per day. Will he/she be worth it? Number of fish? Total weight? Biggest fish? Are these the measures? (If so, take up stockie bashing) :crap
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Black-Don

I put up a section on my site for guiding on some of the the more well known Scottish lochs and it's a difficult one as you know people will expect to catch fish and as they would prefer it,  big ones. It's a shocking admission this but I was considering including a visit to a stockie bashery to ensure people got something of note on the end of their line at the end of the day. Even some of the landowners who have once prolific salmon rivers on their estates and charge thousands of pounds for a weeks fishing have stocked waters on their land in order to keep their guests happy. Fishing in Scotland is different to fishing in Canada and New Zealand for example because of the fickle nature of our weather and fishing in general but it's still a great place to fish if you get it.

Quote from: guest on April 16, 2011, 10:33:19 AM
I was going to offer you guys free guiding on the Argyllshire hills - but as I suddenly turn into a complete fuckwit as soon as I'm over 1000 ft I'll have withdraw my offer on Health and Safety grounds :lol:

I don't bother much with H&S issues  :).

Wildfisher

Quote from: Inchlaggan on April 16, 2011, 04:35:22 PM
So a full-time, dedicated, expert guide will cost in excess of ?200 per day.

Which is why it won't work as a sole or even main income source. Pocket money, supplementary income perhaps, main income no.

Malcolm

Ther money may be crap but there is a huge amount of satisfaction that comes into the equation.

I did two days for a family from the south of England last year; Mum, dad and two teenagers. Dad had booked a fishing holiday as a send off for the twins going to University. I did everything from buying tackle and equipment (a visit to John Norris with the family). How to set it up: backing, leaders, droppers, introduction to trout and salmon flies etc. Then a days casting and fishing instruction with both trout and salmon rods. I thoroughly enjoyed it and at the end of it the family wouldn't disgrace themselves on either river or loch.

About 5 years ago  I struck a deal with a pro-photographer - one day's photo instruction for a days fishing instruction - he told me what camera and lens to buy which was absolutely brilliant and great advice then he took me through all the shite I should ignore on photography forums (90% at least) and a load of stuff that could have taken months to work out.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Brian Mcg

To be honest this thread was to be more along the line of" I would have liked to have been  guided by Charles Ritz " Then a load of reasons why.
It doesn't have to be Ritz(he was'nt a Guide) he was just who I would have liked to be Guided by. Know what I mean now? :D

Brian

Wildfisher

Daft question Brain.

April Vokey

No contest, ask Alan.   :lol:

Wildfisher

I found one of the previous "guide"  threads and moved it to this board. You can see it her.

http://www.wildfisher.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=10747.0

Go To Front Page