News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Long Leaders And Tailing Loops

Started by Wildfisher, June 03, 2011, 12:39:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Here's a rare opportunity for our casting instructors to strut their stuff.   :8)

The longer my leader, the more tailing loops I cast.

Please explain the physics of this in no more than 50,000 posts.    :D

n.b. answers  along the lines of "your casting is pish" etc   will not be accepted as a legitimate answer and will be taken to mean you don't have a clue.  :lol:

Brian Mcg

Quote from: admin on June 03, 2011, 12:39:59 PM
Here's a rare opportunity for our casting instructors to strut their stuff.   :8)

The longer my leader, the more tailing loops I cast.

Please explain the physics of this in no more than 50,000 posts.    :D

n.b. answers  along the lines of "your casting is pish" etc   will not be accepted as a legitimate answer and will be taken to mean you don't have a clue.  :lol:

Near Impossible to tell without seeing your Casting but I will take a stab at it.
Could it be that you apply to much power in the Final cast as you think you may need it to turn over the long leader?

Brian

Malcolm

Fred,

I'm no expert but I never suffer from tailing loops. Until last night that is when I was trying to cast conventionally with a double hander even with with some guidance (never again!)

Like most self taught people my casting is idiosyncratic and I never cast with the fly directly above the "rod leg" of the fly line. Instead it always travels to the side to some extent. With the very heavy salmon flies that I often use the fly leg of the line often travels completely to the side or even under the "rod leg". One or two instructors have criticized this strongly without giving a reason apart from the fact that it doesn't look elegant, but I have absolutely no issues with either distance or accuracy in addition to not suffering tailing loops. 

Malcolm
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Wildfisher

I forgot to add I was casting pretty far. How far? Don't know,  but farther than  I am comfortable with, but still normally manage to cast minimum tailing loops  at that distance.

If only we had a casting club up here eh?    :lol:

scotty9

Quote from: Alan on June 03, 2011, 09:05:56 PM
either or all ways, you need to haul later and possibly longer and smoother.

I can't comment specifically on your case Fred, only that this is the single biggest thing that causes me to tail. It's so obvious when you correct it to as any tail or hint of a tail instantly disappears. Worth trying, haul as late as you can and see if that sorts it, if it doesn't it is something to do with your stroke.

Go To Front Page