News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Trout Gravadlax

Started by Pearly Invicta, August 16, 2006, 12:12:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pearly Invicta

I haven't used my smoker for a while- mostly due to not having any fish to put in it. And I've run out of decent saw dust.

So, having filleted a few decent sized troots last week, I decided to try making Gravadlax.

If you read most books on curing fish they'll tell you that you need a wooden box with a weight to put on the top and a cool place to keep it.

Nonsense! I put a sheet of clingfilm on a worktop then sprinkled a layer of curing mix (3 parts salt to 1 part sugar with loads of fresh dill). Then placed 1 fillet skin side down on it. Then another layer of mix then another fillet flesh side down. Then another layer of mix and wrapped up the 'sandwich'. Then I put it on a plate with 2 plates on top to squeeze it down.

Popped it in the fridge for 5 days, turning it every day and draining away the run-off liquid.

The gravadlax is beautiful and it freezes well.

Also works well with mackeral.

Pearly Invicta

Yes- with 2 plates and assorted items from the fridge. So, 1 plate on the bottom, then the fish sandwich, then 2 plates, a margarine tub and a lump of cheddar on top. That was a tip from Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall.

Go To Front Page