News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Security Advice Needed

Started by JIMCCS, November 26, 2013, 05:27:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JIMCCS

I`ve just scored another computer (using a borrowed one just now), so what do you boys reckon I should download as protection for it preferably for free?

Inchlaggan

Microsoft Security Essentials (free)
PLUS
Malwarebytes (free, but you have to remember to run it regularly, the premium version is to be paid for but it is a one-off payment and runs full-time in the background)
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Wildfisher

That's the combo I use Ken. I paid for an all time license - about £20 which seems like a bit of a bargain to me.

Inchlaggan

I got the all time licence as well, thought it a real bargain compared to Norton McAfee etc. Still do manual scans from time to time (not often enough!).
The combination seems to have worked for well over a year now, just the occasional (non-serious) adware getting through.
Rule One remains the same though- be careful what you click or open.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Stonepark

I use a combination of Avast and Spybot Search & Destroy, both free.
"Just My Tuppenceworth!"

Fishtales

Microsoft security Essentials and Comodo Firewall with Spybot too. I run CCleaner, Malwarebytes and Registry Fix/Cleaner every so often to clear the crap out too. I also have Iobit Defragment set to defragging the hard drive on the fly so that it all runs as smooth as possible.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Lochindorb

It's a good idea to disable JavaScript when surfing, except on those (trusted) sites where JS is needed. Some sites need it for functionality (SMF needs it for some of the forum functionality) but it's possible to view a lot of websites without JS enabled. Some of the 'drive-by' nasties self-install and they use JS to dump whatever they want to dump on your computer. Disabling JS stops a lot of these nasties from executing the code they need to install themselves. And with JS disabled, a lot of annoying adverts disappear.

Even if you run with JS enabled, it's a good idea to disable it in your PDF reader (almost certainly Adobe).

I never enable Java, which can be another source of problems. Java applets can execute arbitrary code. Safari was hit with a Java-based exploit not that long ago.

If your set up allows it, create an account that has minimal privileges and use that most of the time you are online. It's not a good idea to go online regularly with an admin-level account.

Highlander

I should talk as I got a bit of Mal Ware through recently but for what it is worth.

Security Essentials (free)
Windows Defender (free)
CC Cleaner (free)
Malwarebytes (free), but no upgrades unless yoy pay for full version.

I am trying Ad Ware (free) to see how it is with a view to buying full version on recomendation of fellow member.
Conflict may be an issue if one has too many. One to watch out for.
Oh free is good by the way
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Yardbent

Quote from: Lochindorb on December 02, 2013, 02:35:29 PM
It's a good idea to disable JavaScript ................

Even if you run with JS enabled, it's a good idea to disable it in your PDF reader (almost certainly Adobe).

I never enable Java, which can be another source of problems. ...........

If your set up allows it, create an account that has minimal privileges and use that most of the time you are online.
It's not a good idea to go online regularly with an admin-level account..................

thanks for the info - i'll try to setup another account

running Firefox 25.0.1

PLUGINS
Java disabled
and my Reader is Foxit

EXTENSIONS
using ABPlus
and NoScript

using MSE and daily run MAMB and SuperAntiSpyware

all updated daily...only 1 Trojan this year . :8)..............anything else to watch for..?                john

Go To Front Page